TrueNAS-12.0-BETA Time Machine Not showing up

kvess

Dabbler
I am testing TrueNAS-12.0-BETA. I setup time machine with exactly the same settings of my old NAS running FreeNAS-11.3-U4. When I to time machine preferences on my Mac to setup a new disk, The disk does not show up from the new NAS. I have rebooted my Mac and the new nas.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Checked with my team. We believe this was a bug in BETA1 which has been resolved for BETA2. BETA2 should be releasing tomorrow, so if you could update and confirm if this is fixed, that would be great.

Thanks!

kvess

Dabbler
Checked with my team. We believe this was a bug in BETA1 which has been resolved for BETA2. BETA2 should be releasing tomorrow, so if you could update and confirm if this is fixed, that would be great.

Thanks!
I will update tomorrow and test again. I will update you when complete. Thank you for the reply.

kvess

Dabbler
I updated to beta 2 this am. I am still was not able to see my time machine shares until I checked the box netbios-ns under network global configuration. I see the share but it will not connect. Please see attached.

Attachments

• 947D7A61-4854-47E2-903A-6264FD8BC1C1.jpeg
    947D7A61-4854-47E2-903A-6264FD8BC1C1.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 315

MikeyG

Patron
@Kris Moore Just ran into this same issue. Time Machine via SMB share doesn't show up unless NetBIOS-NS is checked in Global Config (worked fine in 11.3). Seems to be working after that option is selected though. Can you confirm this is expected behavior? Tried to find any mention of this in the documentation but couldn't. I imagine there's about to be a lot of people with broken time machine shares if this is the case.

ornias

Wizard
@mgittelman It's interesting, I looked into the Time Machine code for you and nothing there could be causing this.
I think some upstream changes SMB caused this...

MikeyG

Patron
Thanks @ornias. It is working so I consider it solved for me personally, but as I said should be in the docs, or IX should be able to test this behavior and make whatever changes they feel appropriate. If it helps though, I'm happy to file ticket.

ornias

Wizard
Thanks @ornias. It is working so I consider it solved for me personally, but as I said should be in the docs, or IX should be able to test this behavior and make whatever changes they feel appropriate. If it helps though, I'm happy to file ticket.
Well, if it is required to have NetBIOS-NS checked when using timemachine, it should be automatically set when you tick "Time Machine" under the share settings ofc.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I don't have netbios-ns active and time machine works for my son and my wife. Although they connect to smb://freenas.local/Backup, apparently.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-10-26 um 19.34.08.png

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
NetBIOS isn't required for time machine.

The service announcement change caused the mdns service to reload. If for some reason it's needed, you can run midclt call mdns reload and the relevant avahi service files will be reloaded.