TrueCommand 2 Issues

Since the 2.0 beta release, TrueCommand issues are being haphazardly reported across a number of threads. I've started this thread to try to make it easier to identify those issues; one post per issue. If you're certain you've identified a problem such as a regression in 1.3.2 functionality, consider adding or referencing it in this thread, and linking it to a JIRA ticket.

Last edited:
Deleting all alerts happens very quickly...

tc18.jpg

However, it doesn't clear immediately on system tiles (though it eventually clears, but takes a very long time...hours maybe)...

tc19.jpg

Drilling down in one of those system tiles reveals that the alerts have been cleared.

tc20.jpg

First reported with TC 2.0 nightly as issue #3 in this forum post. This is a regression from TC 1.3.2. behaviour. Linked to JIRA thread TC-1760.

Last edited:
While TC 1.3.2 didn't report USED/CAPACITY figures in a meaningful way, it did round USED space to two decimal places...

tc21.jpg

TC 2.0 does report USED/CAPACITY figures in a more meaningful way, however, it rounds USED space to a whole number, which isn't very useful e.g. when monitoring incremental changes in used space during a dataset restore arising from a replication task.

tc22.jpg

First reported with TC 2.0 nightly in this forum post. Linked to JIRA thread TC-1761.

EDIT: If real estate is the issue, consider removing the word TiB from the USED figure. I'm not sure it adds any value. In other words, instead of displaying X TiB / Y TiB, consider displaying X / Y TiB instead.

Last edited:
It's not possible to set the number of config db backups as the setting is greyed out.

tc23.jpg

It's also not clear under what conditions automatic backups occur. The documentation, under the Configuration tab at https://www.truenas.com/docs/truecommand/administration/settings/, should be updated to clarify this.

This is a regression in TC 1.3.2 behaviour. Reported in JIRA thread TC-1762.

Last edited:
Multiple time formats are in use in TC 2.0. This was first reported with the TC 2.0 nightly in this forum post. The issue was first reported with TC 1.1 in this forum thread and in JIRA ticket TC-1248. However, the JIRA ticket is now marked as resolved?!

To avoid having this slip through the cracks, I've opened a new JIRA ticket TC-1772.

Last edited:
While APPS (jails) and VM appear to be reported correctly on system tiles, NFS and SMB aren't. I can't comment on ISCSI as I don't use this service.

tc24.jpg

@Patrick M. Hausen first identified this issue in this forum post and reported it in JIRA ticket TC-1721.

Last edited:
The visual indicator (updating wheel) for various tasks such as resilver and replication has disappeared from system tiles. This issue was first identified with a TC 2.0 nightly in this forum post and more recently with TC 2.0 by @smillan in this forum post. This is a regression from TC 1.3.2 behaviour. Reported under JIRA ticket TC-1763.

Last edited:
Having deleted all alerts in TC 1.3.2 and TC 2.0, TC 1.3.2 refreshes alerts quickly. Drilling down into a particular system on TC 1.3.2 shows there are three alerts with one of the alerts indicating there is an SMR drive present.

tc25.jpg

On the other hand, for the same system, TC 2.0 (after waiting what seems like hours for the counters to clear) incorrectly reports there are four alerts. The Alerts tile is empty.

tc26.jpg

Linked to JIRA ticket TC-1764.

EDIT: After 24 hours the system tile counter is at 20 and now matches the number of recorded alerts. The majority of alerts seem to have been triggered from the Storage Pool Expansion Soon alert rule. The SMR disk still hasn't been redetected so it appears the SMR Disk Detection alert rule hasn't run.

tc28.jpg

EDIT 2: After 48 hours, the SMR Disk Detection alert rule still hasn't kicked in.

The SMR alert kicked in overnight.

tc54.jpg

Last edited:
Both MiB/s and Mbps are used on tiles. Wondering if these should be normalised?

tc27.jpg

Linked to JIRA ticket TC-1765.

Not a bug as such, but more a discussion around the System Card that may provide ideas for documentation and TC improvements. Refer to the discussion thread Understanding the TC 2.0 System Card. Linked to JIRA ticket TC-1766.

It seems like the TC 2.0 Alerts Rule UI is not yet functional or is broken.

The Alerts Rule UI in TC 1.3.2...

tc32.jpg

The Alerts Rule UI in TC 2.0...

tc33.jpg

For a start, the triggers are not visible for predefined rules.

Secondly, these rules can't be copied. This is the sequence of events I see when attempting to copy a predefined rule:

tc34.jpg

tc35.jpg

tc36.jpg

tc37.jpg

Third, the steps to add a new rule seem to work.

tc38.jpg

However, after setting the threshold to an artificially low value, I had hoped to see temperature alerts appear on the Alerts Card for systems. I'm not seeing these as yet so I suspect there's a problem somewhere.

Reported under JIRA ticket TC-1767. I think the TC discussion thread Predefined alert rules - Colour mismatch with graphic? Invisible rules? is still relevant here as well.

Last edited:
I believe there is a problem with the Storage Navigator and the Datasets card.

Below is the TrueNAS view of storage displaying root datasets for a particular server...

tn8.jpg

Here's the TC 2.0 Datasets card view of storage for the same server. An incoherent collection of root and child datasets is presented.

tc39.jpg

Clicking on tank on the Datasets card, I'm presented with just the first two root datasets from the TrueNAS view of root datasets.

tc40.jpg

Reported under JIRA ticket TC-1768.

Disk Activity reporting appears to be broken. Consider the following report based on the disk activity widget.

tc47.jpg

TC 1.3.2 generates this report for a particular server.

tc50.jpg

For the same period and the same server, TC 2.0 generates the following report, which is clearly incorrect.

tc51.jpg

Reports based on other reporting widgets seem to be okay.

Linked to JIRA ticket TC-1769.

Time selection for report generation is clumsy. Referencing the following screen grab:
  1. Why display seconds? For a start, there's no spinner for it? Secondly, reporting based on hh:mm:00 is sufficient I would think.
  2. Clicking and holding the up and down arrows of the spinners should spin through the numbers. It doesn't. If minutes are 30, it takes 30 clicks in either direction to reset to 00 minutes. This is clumsy and annoying.

tc43.jpg

TC 1.3.2 had the same behaviour. A suggestion for improvement in JIRA ticket TC-1770.

Last edited:
Just a quick note: the Datasets card is a short list of your largest datasets sorted by size descending. And the navigator is meant to be nothing like the NAS UI storage tree widge
Okay, that makes more sense, though it's now unclear to me what purpose the Datasets card and navigator serve?

aervin

iXsystems
iXsystems
For users with readonly access to the system, not much. They can "look" and that's about it. For users with read/write, it is TC's platform for storage management. Obviously it's in an early phase, but you can already create: bulk datasets, bulk zvols, shares, snapshots, and snapshot tasks, among other things.

That Datasets card is more or less a list of shortcuts to the storage navigator. Open to ideas for that widget :smile: .

Just a quick note: the Datasets card is a short list of your largest datasets sorted by size descending. And the navigator is meant to be nothing like the NAS UI storage tree widget.

@aervin I've just had a closer look at the disk navigator and realised it isn't behaving as you've suggested.

I reordered the view of storage on the server and compared it with the datasets card and disk navigator view. The datasets card and disk navigator view aren't being ordered largest dataset descending though they do match each other at the root dataset level.

tc58.jpg

tc59.jpg
tc60.jpg

tc61.jpg

Wierd! I'll add a note to the JIRA ticket.