Transmission Plugin installation and setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedTJ

Cadet
Hi all,

I have followed several different transmission installation and setup tutorials. While I have the plugin installed, I'm getting the permission denied error once downloading starts.

Does anyone know of a dummy proof tutorial to get this up and going?
Ive been using FreeNas for a Plex media server for over a year and just can't seem to get Transmission correctly going.

Id be willing to start from scratch if anyone has the time to kinda walk me through it.

Thanks again!

jacobblock over at github has THIS posted which is a very good way to do all this.. Particularly you will want to follow it and skip over anything you dont need. In the past I have referred friends to use this to mostly great success.

Edit: I see now that Transmission is not in there, because we all usenet. The meat of that tutorial is what you want to do though, its still a great read, transmission is easily installed the same way as all of those other softwares. Im sure it really is as simple as installing it like this.

Code:
pkg install transmission
inside a vimage vanilla jail. The real key is running transmission as the user who owns the datasets in question..

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
did you set the download directory? by default it is assigned to a weird spot that will not work "//Downloads".

you can set this in the transmission webui, or through the transmission api

zemun2

Explorer
I found out that the part of the video that tells how to change permissions inside of windows is really important.. :)
On my MacOS it was letting me read/write no problem, thats what threw me of.

https://youtu.be/lyW7BpKfBmk?t=3m10s

jerryone

Cadet
Hello guys, i have some problem with Transsmision "Permision denied" i have read a lot but none can answer right to my problem. i have tray some line in console but this broke my transsmision instalation and have not change my owner to write acces. It's possible to help.

and it's possible to install also Twonky Server on FreeNas 11.

Many thanks!

zemun2

Explorer
  1. On windows machine map the location where you download files in Transmission
  2. Right click anywhere inside of window and select properties, under security tab allow all full control
That should do the trick with "Permission denied" issue you are having

jerryone

Cadet
  1. On windows machine map the location where you download files in Transmission
  2. Right click anywhere inside of window and select properties, under security tab allow all full control
That should do the trick with "Permission denied" issue you are having
Hi zemun2! How i make permision on windows if my download folder is on /media in jail and after that he is moving in /mnt/freenas/nas/download my share folder in windows network!!! Map download and change permision on that folder?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

zemun2

Explorer
Hi zemun2! How i make permision on windows if my download folder is on /media in jail and after that he is moving in /mnt/freenas/nas/download my share folder in windows network!!! Map download and change permision on that folder?

Correct,

Map "/mnt/freenas/nas/download" and change permissions. You also need to set your destination folder in transmission (when you add torrent) to "/media"

jerryone

Cadet
Guys verry easy. Windows has no power over freenas!!!! No mount permision needed just STORAGE PROBLEM WHEN U WRITE!!!!! GO TO STORAGE UNDER JAILS U HAVE TRANSMISSION_1 GIVE THE PERMISION TO WRITE OWNER/GROUP/OTHER MARK UNIX AND CLICK CHANGE

jerryone

Cadet
Guys verry easy. Windows has no power over freenas!!!! No mount permision needed just STORAGE PROBLEM WHEN U WRITE!!!!! GO TO STORAGE UNDER JAILS U HAVE TRANSMISSION_1 GIVE THE PERMISION TO WRITE OWNER/GROUP/OTHER MARK UNIX AND CLICK CHANGE

A little plus!!! u need also to change permision on storage where files are moving!!! On my ex /mnt/nas/download where download have to have write permision!!!

zemun2

Explorer
These also have to match.

This is under Jails
Jails.png

This in Transmission
Transmission.png

Status
Not open for further replies.