Transmission duplicate files and deletion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirk

Patron
Transmission and Couchpotato working fin, but trying to figure out the duplication of downloaded files.

The setup information suggested a destination directory outside the jail under /mnt. So I have /mnt/transmission. And a source drive inside the jail which is media. The info I have suggested that after a download the file would be moved /mnt/transmission. However I wind up with a copy in both places and deleting one removes the other.

I'm concerned that this would of course double the storage being used. Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You're not getting duplicate downloads. What you are viewing when you look at your mount point in the jail is the dataset that you have mounted there. When you are deleting the files in /media you are actually deleting the files in your mounted dataset.

Dirk

Patron
Thanks again jailer. I thought that might be the case since the download affected both. I think back in my college days they used the term simlink/symlink?

So my actual hard data is then in /mnt/Transmission. And if I move a file to the media directory I want it to be in will the corresponding directory info in /mnt/drives/jails/transmission/media update?

Thanks

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
So my actual hard data is then in /mnt/Transmission.
Yes
And if I move a file to the media directory I want it to be in will the corresponding directory info in /mnt/drives/jails/transmission/media update?
If you move somethign to the /media directory in your jail it will be placed in /mnt/Transmission since that's what you have mounted at /media.

Dirk

Patron
Thanks, what I was getting at was if I move something from /mnt/Transmission to /mnt/drives/media/movies will I break anything?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I don't know, is that another dataset? Another pool?

Dirk

Patron
another dataset.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Moving them shouldn't break anything.

Dirk

Patron
Thanks jailer. Have CP and transmission downloading something as a test. Will move it to the /mnt/drives/movies and see what happens. Curious to see if the marker (my choice of words) remains in /mnt/jails/transmission/media.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If you move it, it won't be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.