Transfer speeds slow to 0 Mbps for several minute, then returns to normal

bmoreitdan

Dabbler
I'm having an issue that seems odd to me. I'm running TrueNas 12 and have two disks configured in a mirror. This pool is configured with 3 datasets, two which are being shared as samba shares, and one that's being shared as an NFS share.

Here's the issue: When I transfer data using Windows from Samba Share #1 to Samba Share #2, the transfer starts nicely (~60MBps), then slows to a stop (0 MBps). It will remain at a stop for several minutes. During this time, there is no read/write capability from any of the datasets, including the NFS share. Then, it'll return to transferring again, and will repeat in a few minutes.

My server is a dedicated hardware with 32GB of mem, and 16 cores.

What could be happening? I would think that perhaps the data would buffer in memory, and then at least if the memory got all used up, it would slow to the write-through speed on the disks.

Any advice?

1626100339312.png

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I'm running TrueNas 12 and have two disks configured in a mirror.
Before we dig too deeply, I want to rule out those drives as a potential pain point - please post exact model numbers eg: ST2000DM008

Compare against the list of known SMR drives maintained by @Yorick here:

and/or use the script created by @Basil Hendroff here:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The symptoms also align with a network driver dumping after an amount of data is pushed through them... perhaps not an Intel card?

bmoreitdan

Dabbler
Before we dig too deeply, I want to rule out those drives as a potential pain point - please post exact model numbers eg: ST2000DM008

Device Model: HITACHI H7220AA30SUN2.0T 1002ME9NJT
Device Model: HITACHI H7220AA30SUN2.0T 1002MEHEPT

bmoreitdan

Dabbler
The symptoms also align with a network driver dumping after an amount of data is pushed through them... perhaps not an Intel card?

I'm using a Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM57711 10-Gigabit PCIe card for this connection without any link aggregation.

bmoreitdan

Dabbler

1626104907889.png

sretalla