TP-Link Omada Controller in a Jail?

rmccullough

Patron

hervon

Patron
More likely to work with a Linux VM than a jail. In a jail you would need a freeBSD port of Omada management software.

rmccullough

Patron
Yeah, I know I can get it in a Linux VM. A Jail is more efficient though right? So if I can get it to run in a jail it would seem that would be more desirable. That said, if I cannot, then yes, I may have to setup a Linux VM. I am just trying to avoid that if possible.

purschi

Cadet
I’m very interested which was the right solution for you? I’m thinking to buy TP-LINK Access Points and to use the TP-Link Omada software on my Freenas. I’m not a Linux expert so every hint will help me how to set up the software. Do you had any problems during the installation?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
A Jail is more efficient though right?
Yes. Although the headaches you will create running software on Devuan versus a Debian VM might make it worthwhile to give up the RAM and CPU cycles.

rmccullough

Patron
@purschi I tried for a few hours and abandoned it in favor of an Ubuntu VM. I had trouble finding an older version of the Omada controller before they instituted the OS check. I also considered looking into overriding that class/method, but I just didn't want to invest the time right now.
I’m very interested which was the right solution for you? I’m thinking to buy TP-LINK Access Points and to use the TP-Link Omada software on my Freenas. I’m not a Linux expert so every hint will help me how to set up the software. Do you had any problems during the installation?

@sretalla yeah, this was what I was trying to avoid but in the end I setup Ubuntu LTS on a Behyve VM.
Yes. Although the headaches you will create running software on Devuan versus a Debian VM might make it worthwhile to give up the RAM and CPU cycles.