Tow-Way Replication with FreeNAS 8.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

void269

Cadet
All,
I am looking to setup two replicated mirror file servers. 'ServerA' will be at 'SiteA' and 'ServerB' will be at 'SiteB'. Both sites will access shared data on their local file server (not at the same time of course so I don't need to worry about file locking [for anyone else looking for file locking, Peerlock works well]). What I need is when changes are made on ServerA they will replicate to ServerB and at the same time changes to files on ServerB will be replicated to ServerA. I've been toying with Rsync and have setup a One-Way replication but I'm a bit worried that if I setup two, One-Way replications (one from ServerA to ServerB and another from ServerB to ServerA) I might get some sort of replication looping. Has anyone set this up?

I am rather new/green with FreeNass/Rsync/ZFS so any help would be great!

void269

Cadet
I did some more Google'ing and looks like 'Unison' is what I'm looking for. I'll set it up and test it this weekend and reply back with my results for anyone else looking to set this up.

freshfeesh

Explorer
void269, I'm interested in the results of your Unison testing. Did you get it working on the underlying FreeBSD of FreeNAS (beyond my capability), or installed on a machine running Linux or Windows? I'd like to set up a 2 way sync between my freeNAS box and a Windows box, both on my LAN, and Unison just trickled to the top of my searching as a likely candidate. I would install it on my Windows machine.

Folks on these forums are saying that the rsync ports to Windows are very slow, and evidently rsync is only one way? shouldn't hey have called it rmirror?

Status
Not open for further replies.