Total mapped disk size decreasing when adding data

dkobelak

Cadet
I am fairly new to using trueNAS OS and recently built my first server. I tried searching and although i did find a couple threads on this issue, it was from years back and not really having any solution listed.
I have created a vdev and created a dataset.. Issue i'm having is with the total disk capacity when the drive is mapped in windows. I am running the latest current trueNAS OS 13.1-U4 and using SMB for sharing. I had about 41.3TB of available space. When i copied data, both the total size of the disk and free space is showing the same size in windows mapped drive. In the screenshot it should be showing 39.1TB of 41.3TB, but instead i see 39.1TB of 39.1TB. If i keep adding data, both remaining size and disk size will keep decreasing. Has anyone come across this before? I'm hoping it could be something very simple I am overlooking.. I appreciate any suggestions.. thank you..

1678841810746.png
1678842047357.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
There's not much to this. Windows/SMB cannot understand the nuances of ZFS and space usage (even ZFS has a bit of a hard time), so the most sane thing that can be reported is the estimate of free space.
Think of it this way : what does as a user need to know? "How much free space do I have?" is probably the most important question, so that's the one that gets answered.

dkobelak

Cadet
There's not much to this. Windows/SMB cannot understand the nuances of ZFS and space usage (even ZFS has a bit of a hard time), so the most sane thing that can be reported is the estimate of free space.
Think of it this way : what does as a user need to know? "How much free space do I have?" is probably the most important question, so that's the one that gets answered.
fair enough.. i really appreciate the quick answer on this. it's not a deal breaker for me in any way, was just maybe hoping it could be something i have done wrong and that's why the total disk size keeps going down when data fills up..