Tips for how to use my NAS as a live backup/sync MAC OSX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironfelix717

Dabbler
Hi all.

I come to the forum once again. I am looking for advice on how to take advantage of my NAS for home backups, specifically with a MacOS machine.

My client machine is a mac connected to an SMB share over wifi because i cannot get a wired connection to the client (i know, i hate it). I intend to configure secure remote access into my NAS eventually. Remote access will be important to me, because I want to be able to access the SMB share as if it were my mac's hard drive from anywhere. No more dragging things to Dropbox before leaving the house. I just put my mac to sleep and boom. Out the door, I can access everything I was working on, as if i was using my Mac's finder at home. If my mac blows up, all my files are the most current they can possibly be.

So i'm not inquring about how to set up secure remote access, as that is a thing I will learn down the road, i would just like some advice on how I should achieve this back up method in the most sensible fashion. My thoughts were the following methods:

1) Mirror my Mac's SSD content (pictures, docs, etc) to my SMB share - Remove all local files on my SSD. Simply link all my finder folders ("Pictures" "documents" etc) to the SMB share. Any content i produce on my mac will automatically be copied to the server as time goes on.

2) Mirror my Mac's SSD to the SMB share. However, dont remove local files on the mac. And have the server live sync to the mac. Any new content produced on my mac would be stored locally and then the server would constantly mirror the drive.

Method 1 is not ideal because my connection is slow and accessing files over the server constantly is not ideal for optimal performance on my mac. Method 2 is preferable because i still retain the performance of local storage, but also have an exact replica of the drive on my NAS, 24/7.

My apologies for making this a long topic, I guess what I am asking is, does anyone currently do method 2? I have a paid version of Carbon Copy Cloner, which I could set up to do "sync" the Mac and NAS every hour or something, but i'm not sure if this is the correct way to achieve this. Theres also time-machine, but i frown upon that.

Appreciative of any tips you can provide. Thank you for your time.

ironfelix717

Dabbler
Hi, I solved my issue and found a solution using carbon copy cloner. It works just as i intend.

Thanks

iHeartMacs

Explorer
Hi, I solved my issue and found a solution using carbon copy cloner. It works just as i intend.

Thanks
Hi, So glad you found a way to achieve your goal! What did you end up doing? Sparse image or just User file sync?

otpi

Contributor
Why not set up an AFP share and use osx build in time machine?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, OP said (nearly a year ago) that he "frowned on" Time Machine, though he didn't explain why. It does seem like the obvious solution, though--it's on every Mac already, and it would appear to do exactly what he's asking for. Though it looks like it will be moving to SMB before long.

Status
Not open for further replies.