TimeMachine Backup to freeNAS ist very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

diwa_

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm not shure, if this ist network-related. But it looks to me like it is...

I've been posting this 14 Days ago into the German part of this board - but with no response.

I'm running freeNAS 9.3 on a HP N54L with a 5 4TB raidZ2.
I am doing TimeMachine backups from 5 Macs to this HP - accually with no problems on 4 of these but with problems on the most important one.
If TimeMachine runs a backup onto the freeNAS share on my iMac (running MacOS 10.9.5), it is very slow.
It can take an hour or more for a few MB to be saved. If I copy e.g. a VM with 50GB of file size at the same Time onto the same share, the full gigabit network speed is used.

So it should not be the Hardware.
Also, if TimeMachine is running one of the other Macs, the speed is looking fine - up to 800Mbit/sec.

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks

dirk

RoboKaren

Contributor
I also noticed that TimeMachine backups were very slow and often timed out or failed. In addition, the requirement to mount/dismount the server was getting on my nerves. I ended up using CrashPlan and rsync as backup methods instead. It seems as though FreeNAS's AFP protocol may have some bugs. :-(

diwa_

Dabbler
What makes me wondering is: 4 out of 5 TimeMachine backups are running fine.
Maybe I got a problem with the last because of the sparse bundles size? That's about 2.5TB compared to about 4-500GB at the other backups...

Ciao

dirk

Status
Not open for further replies.