This is a FreeNAS data disk and can not boot system. system halted

georgelza

Patron
WTF... system was working perfectly last night,

system was halted this morning so I had to hard reset the NAS, and ended with this...

Please advise.

G

georgelza

Patron
... so moved the USB key which is my boot vol to another USB slot and it's booting...
somehow I get feeling this MB is cooked... starting to fail all over.

G

georgelza

Patron
... so I did a export of my config, think I'll immediately do another... rather safe than sorry, was thinking it's the USB that failed, but snot, it's booted.

G

ThreeDee

Guru
switch to an SSD when you can

georgelza

Patron
as it is I'm having IO slot problems. My MB got 6 sata slots, one of which is used by a 128GB M.2, leaving me with 5 drive slots, I'm using 3, and have 3 drives left, for which I don't have enough slots. looking at replacing the MB, and all the MB's that I can find in my budget actually now only have 4 slots, so thats the 1 x M.2 and the 3 x HDD's. also again, no extra ports for a SSD.

Looking at maybe getting this 4 x sata slot MB's and then getting a HBA for the additional drives, would like one that at min can take 6 sata slots/HDD's, for another 2 x vdev's of 3 drives. thinking of maybe also getting a pic card with M.2's on it... thats will allow me to move my current M.2 to the card, opening up a sata port for a small SSD for the boot. so ye... all nice idea's... but for now budget and availability is not meeting up.

G

switch to an SSD when you can

ThreeDee

Guru
the HBA card in my sig was $25 off of ebay .. cables where an extra $12'ish x 2 .. it can handle 8 drives .. Cheap option for now that can carry over to your next build.

georgelza

Patron
as you know exactly what you got, any chance you can send me a eBay link.
I've got enough sata cables lying around :)
G

ThreeDee

Guru

You would just need to flash it to IT mode..above listing comes with cables ..otherwise you'd need:

regular SATA cables won't connect to HBA card

..if you want to hook up SAS drives

georgelza

Patron
ok, so looking at this, as I have SATA drives, I need the below. giving me 8 ports, nice....

You would just need to flash it to IT mode..above listing comes with cables ..otherwise you'd need:
do you have a link to this flashing ?

G

georgelza

Patron
please confirm.
this looks like it's the same SASD -> 4x SATA (but with included power point into which I then plug my connectors, Not sure I'm going to have space for my power connector fitting in behind this power connector on the side of my machine.

I'd prefer the other just 1 SAS -> 4SATA connectors but they seem to have run out of stock.

georgelza

Patron
so my boot usb failed over night, imaged a new usb boot device, booted the system, got a ip and reloaded my config that I saved over the weekend.
All back up.
Very Happy/Impressed with how easy TrueNAS makes that.
But also very concerned with my system.
Seeing
CAM Status: Uncorrectable parity / CRC C error ...
Retrying command, 3 more tries remain.
Write_FPDMA_Qued. ....

need to get this controller.
make that need to get new MB, but now discovered that the local shop does not carry Intel gen 7 compatible boards, so pre owned market now.
G

georgelza

Patron
so ordered : IBM ServeRaid M1015 46M0861 SAS/SATA PCI-e RAID Controller = LSI SAS9220-8i

from one of the sellers on eBay, now to order a cable setup from someone local. going to be cheaper than also internally ordering it, as it is my shipment on the above card is 3x the cost of the card.

G

georgelza

Patron
@ThreeDee
You mentioned :
"You would just need to flash it to IT mode..above listing comes with cables ..otherwise you'd need:"
Can you point me to a how to ?
Got card and cables on the way.
G

ThreeDee

Guru
jgreco has a great thread with links .. that is where you should start

georgelza

Patron
ok... got card on it's way, cables I hope is on their way.
bootable USB stick made with FreeDOS.
now I've downloaded the FW. assume I'll just use the lsi_dos.zip
now the wait...
if this works, will def look at getting 1, maybe 2 more cards. gets the idea they good to have lying in a box, before they disappear of the market.
G