Thinking of moving from UnRaid

aglyons

Cadet
I'm considering moving to TruNas from UnRaid. I was not expecting the performance hit UnRaid brings to the table. I have an older Dell R510 12-bay chassis. I do have mixed-sized HDD mostly 6TB and 8TB but I also have two UnRaid parity drives that are 12TB and 14TB. I'm not 100% familiar with how TruNas handles mixed sized drives.

Also, for someone that is not a CLI junky, would I find TruNas to be frustrating eventually?

I'm curious to hear from some others that made the switch too.

aglyons

Cadet
I searched around for other posts related to this and didn't see any. Now after posting I see there are a bunch.

Also, see that there is a "noobie presentation" being referred to in posts. But I can't seem to find this anywhere.

Directions?

jasonmicron

Dabbler
Logged in to just reply RE: the Ars article. I instantly went to "I bet that's a Jim Salter article" in my head. Clicked the link and I wasn't disappointed. Too bad he's no longer at Ars as a regular contributor. He has a unique ability to take a complex concept and make it relatable and understandable.

Redcoat

MVP
Also, see that there is a "noobie presentation" being referred to in posts.
My guess is that reference is to the Cyberjock presention mentioned at the beginning of the first link you were given. Though "aged", it has very clear information on the issues of drives and drive sizes in which you expresssed interest.