SOLVED The second "spare" hard drive saved my data files

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyToews

Dabbler
I have five consumer grade SATA hard drives in my FreeNAS system. With ZFS that means I can lose two hard drives and it will still function without loss of data. I purchased my hard drives from different manufacturers and vendors to help ensure I didn't have any similar models or production batches that might fail in the same way at the same time.

A hard drive failed. I replaced it and, five hours into the thirty hour resilvering process, another hard drive failed. Needless to say I was quite nervous until the resilvering completed. My second replacement hard drive should be here tomorrow.

I post this because this is first hand experience of a highly unusual set of coincidences. It's worth it spending the extra money for that second "spare" hard drive.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This happens so frequently its not funny. I'm happy you went with RAIDZ2 though

TonyToews

Dabbler
Turns out the problem in both hard drive failures were burnt/melted SATA to Molex power connectors. I've replaced the power supply with a Corsair (I'm told a good brand name) with six SATA power connectors.

Once I have web page setup with photos I will post the link for folks to ponder.

I will be talking to the vendor about reimbursing me for my burnt hard drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.