Testing SCALE with CORE pools

maciekb

Cadet
Hi,

Is it now reasonable and safe to test TrueNAS SCALE on imported 12-U1 CORE pools? I mean, are the pools compatible in both directions and can they be imported both in CORE->SCALE and back, that is SCALE->CORE?

Regards,
Maciek

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
The pools can be, but not the TrueNAS configuration.

maciekb

Cadet
I was just thinking about the pool, not the configuration. Thank you for the confirmation.

TrumanHW

Contributor
Config (I'm assuming) means settings like, Snapshot tasks, Rsync, Replication tasks, are exclusive to the OS installation.
Whereas the data, (the DB, checksums, Directories, Files, Snapshot info, Jails) are part of the pool(s) ..?

I know I should spend more time understanding permissions, but I'm thinking users and their respective-rights are in the OS ..?
Versus: Users nor the directories to which they have rights aren't in any way integrated into a Pool(s) as metadata..?

(I still have directories from back when I owned a QNAP, of which have properties (permissions?) ... which make:
Deleting, moving, renaming, etc., impossible (sometimes with a 'red x' on directories) an issue I need to resolve.)