Temporary Server...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plato

Contributor
Hi,

After my Asrock C2750D4I motherboard died on me ( PSU just turns off when trying to power up, like there's a short circuit or something ).. I started building another server..

For this purpose I ordered these:

Xeon E3-1230v6
Supermicro X11SSH-CTF
Samsung 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM ( M391A2K43BB1-CRC ) x 4

There is something fishy about this RAM though.. I paid $320 for 2 sticks of RAM.. The company I bought sent me 4 of them.. When I asked why they sent 2 extra they said they're double packs. Meaning they're 8GB x 2.. But AFAIK this RAM is 16GB per stick. So they sent me 4 sticks.. I'll check the capacity, but I'm sure they sent me 64GBs of RAM instead of 32GBs...

Though there was some problems. 1230v6 couldn't be delivered for some reasons and there was a problem with the supplier again about Supermicro..

So, I searched the market and found some alternatives:

I found two Xeon E3 CPUs: 1230v5 and 1260Lv5 which both of them together was same price as 1230v6. Bought it both.
Also found an Asus P10S-X motherboard for a very cheap price which I wonder why ( it was about $63 )..

So now while waiting for Supermicro motherboard I'll build my NAS with these components:

Xeon E3-1230v5 ( I'll use this on Supermicro but until it arrives I'll use this one )
ASUS P10S-X
Samsung 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM ( M391A2K43BB1-CRC ) x 2
LSI 2008-8i
HP SAS Expander ( Couldn't remember the model but it has 7 or 8 ports on it if I remember correctly ).

I think this would keep me going until Supermicro motherboard arrives.

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.