System Upgrade/Ryzen Advice Needed

seansusmilch

Cadet
First post. I am very much a FreeNAS noob still so be as harsh as possible. All specs at the bottom.

So I just graduated from high school and will be moving into a college dorm at the end of August. The dorm room is too small and I'd assume that the internet there would be too slow to suit the needs of my FreeNAS box that I use it to seed torrents and stream media. I plan on leaving it home and managing it remotely.

Currently, my FreeNAS box is mostly keeping up with my needs. I'd like to seed as fast and as frequently as possible and when qBittorrent starts uploading or downloading over about 6MiB/s, my CPU gets relatively high usage and other things start to crash. This might be due to my lack of RAM (only 16GB) or slow write speeds but I'm not sure. I'd like to run some vms however and the quad-core Xeon ain't cutting it. An upgrade may be due.

I have a gaming PC that will get little to no use after I start college, and I'd like to use the parts to upgrade my FreeNAS box. I'd like to use the Ryzen 5 2600x in the FreeNAS box so I could run more vms, transcodes, etc and use the 32GB of RAM too. I understand that the RAM is not ecc. If I could get hardware encode/decoding to work with an NVIDIA GPU then that would be a bonus, though I probably would use a GTX 1060 I have laying around since the 1070ti seems overkill at the moment. If I were to use these parts, I would need to get a different motherboard and an Intel NIC if not on the motherboard.

My concern is that, seeing some posts about Ryzen and FreeNAS, my configuration wouldn't be stable and perhaps be a downgrade from the experience that I have now. Would it be the smarter play to put more RAM and a better CPU into the motherboard I have now, or get a quality Ryzen motherboard and use the more modern parts?

Honestly I'm probably going to be test it anyways but any advice would be appreciated.

Enclosure : Fractal Design Node 804
Board : Supermicro X9SCM mATX
CPU : Xeon E3-1220 v2 I think @ 3.10GHz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 - 4x4GB of Kingston Something
Main Storage : 3x8TB Shucked WD 8TB Elements Desktop Hard Drive Raidz1 (I like to live on the edge)
Misc Storage: 3x1TB Random Drives from eBay Raidz1
Boot disk : SanDisk 32GB USB
Case: Not good enough to mention
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x @ 4.1GHz
Mobo: MSI B350 PC MATE
RAM: 32GB DDR4 - 2x8GB Ballistx LT Sport + 2x8GB XPG Gammix D10
Graphics: GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti Windforce
Storage: 250GB WD Blue M.2 SSD + 2x250GB Random SSDs + 2x1TB Random HDDs