System Dead after installing Broadcom NIC

ezra

Contributor
Hello!

Today I've installed a Mini PCIE broadcom NIC Gigabit. At first i could boot into FreeNAS, what I did:

Attach CAT 6 cable (same subnet on switch as main connection to freenas)
Not assign the NIC in the GUI (IGB0 is assigned, main connection)
Create a VLAN, parent interface the newly installed nic BGE (also set it up in my OPNsense router)
Reboot

Now this is where half way down the whole system freezes and i have to remove the card in order for the system to boot again.
Not really anything significant in the console output, please point me what to grep from syslog.

I'd really like to get this to work. Even if only i can use 2 separated nic's (have 2 free ports on my router) so i can setup my jails on the new nic.

Thanks

DaveY

Contributor
Did the system freeze or did it just hang during boot? You can tell by hitting the enter key a few times to see if cursor moves. If the console log stopped at a particular boot step, that may be a good place to start. My guess based on the little information provided is probably the VLAN configuration. Remove the VLAN and see if it boots with just the CAT6 connected. If not, then unplug the CAT6 and try again. Make changes in steps till you find the culprit.

ezra

Contributor
Hey! Well it did actually freeze, hitting enter didn't gave me any output, also caps and num on the keyboard stopped working after the "freeze"

Cable plugged/unplugged doesn't seem to matter.

Also tested with an usb/eth adapter, same thing. Creating the VLAN on my primary nic does the same!

Apollo

Wizard
You should leave it running for 5-10 minutes and see if it remains stuck. I have seen system hangs when a new PCIe card is inserted and after a while it might timeout or be able to enumerate the PCIe and proceed with the boot up.

ezra

Contributor
It doesnt so far, max wait time was around 20 mins

Also it also happens when increate a vlan on my regular nic, then i have to reinstall because the systemnis unusable

Apollo

Wizard
Maybe PCIe config in BIOS UEFI.

ezra

Contributor
And what in particular? Since it just works without vlan