System built and going through testing now

Bikerchris

Patron
Not sure how interesting it is to know, but the system is built. No cabling tidying yet, not really my thing unless it affects cooling. I might upgrade the CPU Cooler, not too fussed at the moment. Just doing a memtest for the last 3 days, all clear so far (though I understand that doesn't mean it can be trusted!).

I feel like I've gone into the big leagues with this SuperMicro board, never seen so many options in the BIOS before. :grin:

2020-09-06 15.40.49.jpg

CraigD

Patron
Nice case and PSU, great motherboard

Big league SuperMicro boards include big league features like IPMI, try it out

Have Fun

Bikerchris

Patron
Nice case and PSU, great motherboard

Big league SuperMicro boards include big league features like IPMI, try it out

Have Fun
Thank you :) The PSU is brand new, but the case is an Antec 900 I bought for £20...including postage! Just wanted some expandability, though I was slightly swayed about getting a rack, as it could be easier. That would take other logistics though, and I need to learn FN first!

I'm aiming at using / learning to use IPMI, @Yorick did mention this as a really good function so I took his word for it. It is incredible though. As you can imagine, it's a lot of money to spend on a board so I did some 'just in case' research'. He was spot on, nothing compares with price and function, only down side was how few people stock it in the UK, but I managed to get it for £200 (so around $265) in the end, which wasn't bad. The HDD cost is going to make that look like chump change!

I've run MemTest for 75 hours now, not sure how much longer would be considered reasonable, but it's no bother to run it for weeks if necessary, as it's as quiet as a mouse with such minimal config :smile:

CraigD

Patron
Antec 900 has 9 5.25" bays, great choice.

If you bend some tabs, you can get 3 5in3 cages or hot swaps bays in it (15 3.5" drives)

Have Fun

Bikerchris

Patron
@CraigD It does indeed, which I could have gotten a hold of the 1200's, but they're pretty rare.

I did look into those hot swap bays, but they were quite expensive. I'm invested in with the trayless jobbies - good side is that you don't have to wrap the drives in anything, they just slot in. Bad new is it causes a concern for cooling. I either unconventionally suck air in from the back and push out the front over the HDD's (assuming CPU temps are generally going to be lower). Or I make a mount for a bank of fans behind the drives, pushing air to the back and out. Not sure yet what I'm going to do, but for burning in drives or potential re-silvers, I need to keep those drives cool!
81ZiQwn+BUL._AC_SX466_.jpg