Switch "master" and "slave" roles

zamana

Contributor
Hi!

Currently I have 2 "servers": the "master" has an i3 CPU and 16GB of RAM; the "slave" has a XEON-E3 and 64GB of RAM. (I'm calling them "master" and "slave" but actually the "master" is where the jails are running and the "slave" is working just as a backup system, but of course this is about to change...)

I need to switch "roles", so that the current master will be the slave and vice-versa.

Both of them has 2 pools with the same name: "storage" for data and "system" for system dataset.

The "storage" pools are synced between the two servers, but the "system" is not, because of "* Replication system -> freenas.local:system failed: Please move system dataset of remote side to another pool", and I perfectly understand the reason.

So the question is: how can I make this server swap with a minimum downtime?

Ideally I would like to stop the jails in the current master, make a final replication so both will be 100% equalized, and them start the jails on the current "slave".

Thanks.
Regards.

zamana

Contributor
Yes. Almost "by chance...".

I switch the "system dataset" to a child dataset inside the "storage" dataset (/mnt/storage/system), synced the "master" system dataset to the future/wannabe system dataset on the "slave" (/mnt/system), and then, after activating the /mnt/system as the "system dataset", voilá... all the jails appeared in all its glory.

Sorry for the confusing writing.