swap problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

luca p

Cadet
Hi guys, i have an hp dl380 G5 with two xeon 5150, 6gb ram, and a 4.7TB volume under an hardware raid .and freenas installed on two different usb key. i'm using freenas from an year ago, without any problems, today trying to deleting a folder of 60fb with many small files, i get very slow performance and freezing of deleting proces, the web gui doesn't respond, and in shell i get this error: swap_pager : out of swap space swap_pager _getswapspace (16) : failed
Aug 27 12:51 :56 storage kernel: pid 2817 (smbd) , uid 65534 , was killed out of swap space
i tried to change the usb key , and to disable swap as written here
http://forums.freenas.org/threads/swap-causes-system-crash-on-drive-failure.10984/
but the problems still remain,

thanks in advance, regards

Luca

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You don't need to disable swap. That's like cutting off your leg because your big toe hurts. Sure, it solved the pain problem, but you've got bigger problems now. What that swap error is pretty much implying is that you need more RAM.

luca p

Cadet
ok, i will get some ram, but anyone has this experience? i think is not normal freezing the os deleting a folder

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you didn't find anyone else by using the search feature, probably not.

And I really hope you aren't using ZFS with a hardware RAID. The manual makes it completely clear that hardware RAID + ZFS = no-no.

luca p

Cadet
no, i'am using an ufs type volume. thanks for help, i will ad 8gb in the next days and try new tests

Status
Not open for further replies.