Support for WEBP images?

WEBP offers smaller sizes, both lossy and lossless, compared to their JPEG and PNG counterparts.

This would make a nice addition to this forum to be able to attach WEBP. (I have a lot of WEBP files, but I convert them to JPEG or PNG before attaching. I also tend to use WEBP as my "original save", so I don't need to do further compression later down the line if I want to shrink my media libraries.

Images on websites download as WEBPs from their CDN. (So even though a URL shows .jpg for the file extension, your browser might download it as a WEBP instead.)

Does this forum software have any "modular" features where you can add additional supported file formats? I know, for example, Discourse gives you this ability.

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
I'm not sure about support for webp, but in general it had been the file extension which was the limiter and I believed we had everything permitted, but if .webp is the thing, i can check if that could be added but whether that makes a difference or not I cannot say.

The appropriate section of the XenForo options does indeed have webp in its list of allowed extensions along with jpg and jpeg, and a bunch more. I cannot say what is missing, if a webp file has been attempted and failed or what.

Last edited:
View attachment webp-test.webp

Hey, it works? Testing, testing, 1, 2, 3...

I attached a lossless WEBP image.

EDIT: The "post" (before clicking "Reply") looks normal, but after I post it, it turns it into a "link".

Clicking "Preview" also turns it into a "link".

So when writing the post, it looks like a normal inline image, just as with other image formats. However, "Preview" or submitting the post turns it into a "download link".

This is what I see before I click "Reply". It looks normal, as if it's going to work.
looks-okay-until-previewed.png

But then it turns into a "download link" after submitting the post or clicking "Preview".

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
I'm not sure what the difference is between one type and another, or how XenForo handles images, or what might need adjusting to obtain the desired result. I do know there are two options for image processing in the configuration but I have no idea how involved it would be to switch or whether that would solve it.

Hmm, looks like WEBP won't be supported until XenForo 2.3:

I guess when XF 2.3 is released, it's fairly doable to update it on here (the TrueNAS forums)?

EDIT: It sounds like XF 2.3 will be released "soon'ish", since the blog post from October 11th of this year says they're making the "finishing touches".

Last edited: