Supermicro SuperServer 6016TT

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDMcGrew

Dabbler
So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the Supermicro SuperServer 6016TT such as this here: http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1u/6016/sys-6016tt-tf.cfm

To be specific, I'm actually looking at this particular listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252036708711?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I'm thinking of one of these as an addition to my existing ESXi setup. I will not be serving the VM's off my impending FreeNAS server but I will be relying on the FreeNAS server for serving NFS requests to many Linux hosts that will live in the VM.

thanks for any insights!

No experience but i would love one of the 4 node ones so i could create a single physical cluster in a 2U form factor :P But i see no reason why not to get one

BDMcGrew

Dabbler
I know right, the four-way models are twice as cool as the two-way models... but I couldn't find a four-way within my lab budget sadly. So I snatched up that one and 4x1TB Red's for VMDK's. Total cost was under $700 and I'll be able to run another ~10 VM's. Will let you know how it goes!

BDMcGrew

Dabbler
Well... my server arrived yesterday and is DOA. Guess I wait for a return. Bugger!

Wow that blows, reseating components didnt help huh?

BDMcGrew

Dabbler
Sadly I couldn't get that far. There was no damage to the shipping container but the left rail was bent at the rear so I could not remove it to remove the cover - without some real brute force. Perhaps it had been dropped, IDK. Let them warranty it. Thankfully, I'm not in a hurry!

Perhaps it had been dropped, IDK. Let them warranty it. Thankfully, I'm not in a hurry!
exactly, let them worry about it lol, make sure they include some extra ram for all the trouble :P

BDMcGrew

Dabbler
And so it's been a month and things are progressing quite nicely but I've changed my plans slightly. The replacement SuperMicro server came back and is up and running, two nodes and hums right along. Each node has 24GB installed. I've order a second box, additional ram and i340-t4 cards for everything - it's time to grow!

Status
Not open for further replies.