Not open for further replies.

beeph

Dabbler
case: SUPERMICRO 3U CSE-836TQ-R800B CHASSIS 16x TRAYS 2x 800W POWER SUPPLIES
mobo: Supermicro X10sri-f Server Motherboard - Intel C612 Chipset - Socket R3
cpu: Intel Xeon CPU E5 2650 ES 2.00GHz 8C 20MB 32nm QANB Processor 2011 X79
Ram: Crucial CT16G4RFD4213 16GB
intel 1015 IT crossflash

basically i bought the cheapest stuff i could find on ebay. The cpu was used and only 40$.. I dont even understand how that's possible.

What's the status quo for hard drives? WD has the 6TB desktops and I see seagate has a cheap 8TB desktop.

Last edited:

Sakuru

Guru
How do you plan to connect to the backplane? The M1015 only has enough ports for half of your bays. It's fine to use the motherboard's SATA ports as well, I just want to make sure you have enough cables.

Do you have a cooler for your CPU?

Do you have a UPS?

WD REDs are the most popular drives around here, but HGST and Seagate NAS drives work well too. It's probably best to stay away from desktop class drives and any that say "Archive". In one of my boxes I'm using refurbished HGSTs and in the other I'm using White Label drives which appear to be off-brand WD REDs.

What is your expected workload for this box? How do you plan to configure your pool?

Do you have a backup strategy?

What are you going to use for a boot drive?

beeph

Dabbler
i dont have a cooler, I wasn't sure whether one came with the case or the CPU or not. From your input it seems I have to buy one separately. I realize cabling is going to be a pain but I'm planning on mixing and matching m1015 ports and mobo ports. The cabling is a hassle but I do it once, stick it in a corner, and dont worry about it for another 5 years hopefully.

I have a UPS but it sucks, I definitely need to upgrade that. Any recommendations?

Workload = video streaming, data storage, every day use. My pool I'm thinking will be a simple Raid 1 redundant mirror, thats what I use now. Backup = nonexistent atm, but relying on that mirror. I'm currently using a norco-2008 freenas with 10TB mirrored. I may convert that into a backup solution if necessary

boot drive = my old freenas 9.3 usb. Last time i did a setup that was the recommended strategy, if anything has changed please let me know.

This is my first server motherboard. I was using an AMD phenom that cost me probably 2-3000$ in electricity over the last 5 years, between TDP and additional AC costs. So 'cheap' wasnt so cheap.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The motherboard you have selected does not support the processor you have selected.

beeph

Dabbler
Jailer: how can you tell it says E5-2600 v4/v3 family supported does that not include E5-2650 or is the version on it wrong?

danb35

Hall of Famer
how can you tell it says E5-2600 v4/v3 family supported does that not include E5-2650 or is the version on it wrong?
A v3 or v4 family would identify that in the model number, like E5-2650v3.

I can understand how the CPU was so cheap; I just sold a pair of 2660s for $76, and bought a pair of 2670s for $122. The 2670s are getting dumped on the market in a big way, and that's driving down the price of other similar-generation E5s.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The 2670s are getting dumped on the market in a big way, and that's driving down the price of other similar-generation E5s
Yup and I wish I had the extra fun money right now to build a system around one to play around with esxi.

beeph

Dabbler
ahh well color me stupid. I'm going to have to refuse delivery on that CPU.
There's alot of these CPU's used on ebay, and since they're such a great deal, how best to take advantage here.. what model would you guys get for that build?

I should have gotten a dual-socket board! oh well. I dont mind spending a bit extra if it's a great deal.. I think these chips used to go for 1000$+

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Get a x9 series socket 2011 board. That's what you need to support your chosen CPU. If you want dual socket 2011 for the E5 v2 series take a look at another discussion on the same topic and maybe it will help guide you.

beeph

Dabbler
Jailer: I'd rather stick with this mobo since the CPU is easier to return. What CPU would you pick for this mobo? I see V3's new for under 300$ on ebay, and used for even less, so I'm assuming its a good time to buy CPUs atm.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Buy the one that suit your needs and budget and fits the boards specifications:

supports
Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600
v4†/ v3 and E5-1600 v3 family

Stux

MVP
Were you able to try out that processor? The Intel website specifies a different frequency than the ebay listing so it much a engineering sample.
"QS" probably means Qualification Sample. Ie a tricky way of saying ES without saying ES.

Status
Not open for further replies.