SOLVED SuperMicro BIOS upgrade ruined CPU settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJABE

Contributor
Hello,

After 'successful' BIOS upgrade to v 2.0 last week, BIOS is unable to detect my CPU as it was the case before, it reports my CPU has only 1 core, and sets speed to 800 MHz.
Before upgrade these values were 2 cores, and full 3200 Mhz freq without any issue.

MoBo: X10SLM-F
CPU: G3420

I can smell it's due to improper detection of stupid power saving settings, but as I disabled all C states, ACPI states, EIST, SpeedStep etc. my CPU count is still only 1 and the speed is 800 MHz (lowest SpeedStep?!)...

Is there any chance to get back old (factory) BIOS version, in my case it was 1.1a.

Also upgrading "firmware" IPMI to v. 1.35 ruined lots of things...
Sensor Readings are not showing a single VOLTAGE anymore...
nor the CPU and PCH temps! Other temps and fan speeds (5) are OK! Just CPU, PCH temps and all voltages are N/A!

This is what they call "enterprise" and "Server grade" hardware?! LOL

I guess this is my first and the last time doing 'business' with SuperMicro. <rage>

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I recommend you talk to them and ask for instructions on how to proceed. Raging in a tangentially-related forum doesn't typically get you very far, especially since few people have trouble with BIOS updates on Supermicro X10 motherboards.

DJABE

Contributor
Thanks Ericloewe.
I'll do that tomorrow..
Can't believe I'm the only one having such issues..

Starpulkka

Contributor
I know what you going thru.. i was in near same shit myself. cpu and bios confs+ freakin ipmi had to to hard reset to it (dont even remember anymore how i did it, oh wait just got a light bulb in my head i reseted it in freedos ipmi tool).

I give you a hint, Super check that green A4 paper what it does say, and what ftp bios file says.. I might not even dare turn computer offpower in your situation now..
-Sisua ja jaksamisia sinne.

Edit: Aah, you forgot enable jumper, lol.
Glad that you got it fixed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.