SuperMicro A1SA7-2750F?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd appreciate any comments on the suitability of the SuperMicro A1SA7-2750F board, with installed C2750. I've been looking at options for a new server, to become the main FreeNAS box, relegating the original one to an off-site backup server.

A used system was advertised in the local area, with that board in a 16 disk chassis. I've asked for details on the chassis.

I'd start out running 7 disks in RAIDZ2 + one hot spare (I am often on the road for two weeks or longer, and wish be be able to swap in a fresh disk if needed from my remote location). Later, I'd add a second 7 disk vdev, keeping the hot spare disk. The system would not see heavy use, serving as a back up server, Plex server, ownCloud server, etc.

Other than the fact that it is a proprietary form factor, which limits the drop-in chassis options, is there anything else that I would want to know before I make a decision on buying a used server with this board?

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Does anyone have any pointers on where can I purchase compatible RAM? I tried Crucial's site, as they sell Micron RAM, but they list nothing for this board.
Check if they have 16GB DDR3 UDIMMs. I'm 99% certain they'd only have one model, since it's very niche and very expensive.

Check if they have 16GB DDR3 UDIMMs. I'm 99% certain they'd only have one model, since it's very niche and very expensive.
Looks like I can get the RAM from AvNet, if I purchase this used system (he was running UnRAID, with 4G RAM). I'd go with 32GB to start, in 16GB modules.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Note that a Xeon-D or Xeon E5 may be cheaper, once the price of RAM is taken into account.

Note that a Xeon-D or Xeon E5 may be cheaper, once the price of RAM is taken into account.
Yeah, I realize that. It all hinges on the details of the other stuff that is included with the motherboard, and what price he will accept for the whole lot. It is apparently a complete system, without HD as he will use them in the replacement Xeon system he is building. But, he hasn't yet provided any info on the chassis, PSU, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.