Suggested motherboard for a small home-based TrueNAS + other VMs

Dguzzett

Cadet
Dear all,
this is my first post after looking into the forum and on the internet for many days.
I do not consider myself a beginner (10 years ago I was programming in assembler under Windows and was developing software for Arduino board) but I’m not updated since about 10 years (so I could be wrong on many assumptions or ideas… thank you for taking this into consideration if you are going to reply).
I would like to replace my very old DLink ShareCenter DNS 340L set-up in RAID 5 with 3 WD Red 2TB each (used to store any sort of file - photos, movies, music, clinical files, ebook…) with a new system with TrueNAS core.
What I like a lot of the DLink is the size (slightly bigger than 4 HDD) and I would like to stay on a similar size.
I would take the chance to install TrueNas in a VM (Proxmox?) as I would like also to add a couple of more installations - not hardware demanding.
For this reason I was planning to create a small mini-itx system with 4 WD Red directly connected to 4 SATA ports and an SSD as a boot.

I started looking for the case and in the end I would go for a Supermicro CSE-721TQ-350B2.
Then I started looking for a mini-itx MB with 4 SATA ports and support for 64GB of RAM.
I could not find anything with more than 16 GB of RAM if 4 SATA ports were present (ASROCK J3455-ITX) with CPU and GPU onboard.
Is this true? Is there no mITX MB with 4 SATA ports and 64 GB supported RAM?
If so, what would you suggest to stay ideally on a small system with those requirements?
Budget is reduced as it’s not a mission critical NAS... needs to be reliable (in terms of not loosing data); I would try to avoid going at server level products.
Thank you all for reading this slightly long post and for your answers.

somethingweird

Contributor
Have you looked at ixSystems truenas Mini?

Dguzzett

Cadet
Thank you for your reply.
Yes I looked at that and would be fantastic… I was only expecting to invest about half of the budget… so I will still search for a different possible solution (not with server-level) components. Thank you anyway for the suggestion.

somethingweird

Contributor
Thank you for your reply.
Yes I looked at that and would be fantastic… I was only expecting to invest about half of the budget… so I will still search for a different possible solution (not with server-level) components. Thank you anyway for the suggestion.

my problem with the mini is it doesn't have a GPU -