stripe to raid-z

HaNue

Dabbler
now setting is 20TB x 16 HDD strip

can i change raid-z1 or 2 or 3?

If impossible, can I add a drive in raid-z?
(eg : 20tb x 16hdd raid-z() > 20tb x 20hdd)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You cannot change the layout of a vdev.
You cannot add disks to RAIDZ vdevs.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You can start with e.g. a 2 disk mirror and add a second mirror later. Or start with a 4 or 6 disk RAIDZ2 and add a second set of disks later.

Redundancy is per vdev. Pool capacity is the sum of all vdevs. You might want to read the ZFS primer.

HaNue

Dabbler
You can start with e.g. a 2 disk mirror and add a second mirror later. Or start with a 4 or 6 disk RAIDZ2 and add a second set of disks later.

Redundancy is per vdev. Pool capacity is the sum of all vdevs. You might want to read the ZFS primer.
If I make a z2 vdev pool with 14 x 20tb(240tb) of hard and later add 14 or 10 of them, would the parity hard be 4?

If i calculate with a simple mind
(Existing z2 14x20tb / parity 2hdd) 240TB + 240TB or 200TB
If it's not this calculation
240TB + 200TB or 240TB + 180TB?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Each vdev will still have a redundancy of 2 drives. Lose one vdev and the entire pool is gone. So you can lose 2 drives guaranteed without problems. You can lose up to two more drives as long as they are in the second vdev. The redundancy does not add up.

14 is a bit wide by the way. I'd start with 2x 7-wide RAIDZ3 with 14 drives to configure. Depending on your use case, of course. If you need IOPS, don't use RAIDZ but mirrrors.

HaNue

Dabbler
Each vdev will still have a redundancy of 2 drives. Lose one vdev and the entire pool is gone. So you can lose 2 drives guaranteed without problems. You can lose up to two more drives as long as they are in the second vdev. The redundancy does not add up.

14 is a bit wide by the way. I'd start with 2x 7-wide RAIDZ3 with 14 drives to configure. Depending on your use case, of course. If you need IOPS, don't use RAIDZ but mirrrors.
I don't need iops, I just need a lot of capacity. It will be equipped with up to 28 pieces

If the parity hard is not accumulated, does it mean that there are only 2 parity hard even if I set it up and add the hard later?
(eg : 20tb x 14hdd after 20tb x 14hdd = 20tb x 26?)

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Please read the ZFS primer where all is explained in great detail. Repeating myself: redundancy is per vdev. Each RAIDZ2 vdev will have 2 disks "wasted". I avoid the term parity because ther are no dedicated parity disks in ZFS.