Streaming from FreeNAS to Nexus 7 (2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnelson1025

Cadet
Hey all, I'm new here and don't have a NAS yet, but am looking into it. I have a question about streaming music to a Nexus 7 tablet.

Would I be able to set up FreeNAS so a Nexus 7 could play audio files sitting on the NAS? The idea is to use the Nexus to send audio over bluetooth to an amp and speakers.

I don't want to copy the music collection to the Nexus, just stream when desired. Thank you!

mattbbpl

Patron
So does Emby. I prefer Emby for other reasons, but I've been told by other users that Plex has some music restrictions without a yearly subscription. Perhaps pirateghost can comment on what those would be so that you can decide whether or not they're relevant to you.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
So does Emby. I prefer Emby for other reasons, but I've been told by other users that Plex has some music restrictions without a yearly subscription. Perhaps pirateghost can comment on what those would be so that you can decide whether or not they're relevant to you.
I'm not sure about any restrictions, as I've happily had a Plex subscription for a couple of years. Totally worth it in my opinion

mattbbpl

Patron
Yeah, it's hard for me to say from my side of the fence as well since I've only been on Emby due to their tighter Kodi library integration. All I have is heresay from other Plex users, unfortunately.

*Shrug* If nothing else the user can try one based on an educated guess, and if he finds something he doesn't like he can load up a plugin of the second. Or just go full geek, install both simultaneously, and compare them side-by-side. :smile:

dnelson1025

Cadet
Thanks to both of you. Just a clarification...

Is Plex/Emby installed on the FreeNAS box and on the Nexus? Or on one or the other?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Thanks to both of you. Just a clarification...

Is Plex/Emby installed on the FreeNAS box and on the Nexus? Or on one or the other?
you need the SERVER portion of whichever one you use installed on FreeNAS in a Jail/plugin, and the CLIENT app installed on the tablet.

Status
Not open for further replies.