storage/raidz question

Bane

Dabbler
I have my freenas data pool setup in raidz6 (5, 4 TB drives). I am seeing the below in freenas.

1573056764811.png

My question is, is it normal to see 16.1 TiB total, but my pool is only using 9.5 TiB? I know that RAIDZ takes up some space for parity, just not sure if this is how it would display. I thought that storage would show whatever was left after configuring RAIDZ2 as the pool.

Thanks,

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I think the 16TB is roughly equivalent to 4x4TB... although should be a lower number, not higher when reported as TiB.

Is it possible that you have sma snapshots taking up some space that you don't see here? this is often where "disappearing free space" has gone.

Bane

Dabbler
It looks like that per the below raidz calculator I am only off about .8 TB or so. So it appears I may have just underestimated the space that would be used by raidz2 for parity.

1573221659878.png

Bane

Dabbler
I think the 16TB is roughly equivalent to 4x4TB... although should be a lower number, not higher when reported as TiB.

Is it possible that you have sma snapshots taking up some space that you don't see here? this is often where "disappearing free space" has gone.

How do I check if I have snapshots taking up space? I am only seeing the ability to create snapshot jobs and to manually create a snap shot.

Thanks,

sretalla