Storage/jails across different drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvertedForce

Dabbler
Hey folks

I'm a total newbie with FreeNAS and all things related.
I got up and running through the help of a generous newbie guide, helped me set up permissions, jails, etc.

I'm having an issue with my PLEX jail and associated storage.
I had (for a long time) a single 1 TB drive, with my movies and TV shows all on the same drive. I had a jail for plex, with storage in /mnt/vol1/jails/plexmediaserver_1/media and two folders, TV and MOVIES.
In total, I had ~253 GB in Movies, ~450 GB in TV.

As my drive started to fill up, I decided to purchase another HDD, this time 2TB. I migrated my entire /TV directory to the new drive, as that potentially has much more space. To allow PLEX to see this new directory, I removed the old /media/TV pointer to /mnt/vol1/media/TV and changed it to /mnt/vol2/media2/TV.

This allowed PLEX to see the same directory. I also changed all my sickbeard/transmission pointers to reflect the new directory change.

HOWEVER, now under the volume management, my first drive (vol1) is showing a total size of 517.9GB, instead of the original 950+GB. Every time I add media to the volume 2 (/mnt/vol2/media2) it lowers my "size" and thus the % Used changes.
Is there any way to separate the jail from supposing the size of the "pointed to" directory and reflecting that in the available drive space?

I've attached two photos of the FreeNAS storage tab, reflecting the changes after loading ~4GB of media into the "TV" directory. Notice how the vol2-->media goes from 450.2 gb used to 454.6 gb, reflecting the addition of media. Inversely, the available size of vol1 goes from 200.6 gb to 195.3 gb.

volumes.jpg

volumes2.jpg

I don't know how to better describe it. Sorry if I've confused anyone.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

InvertedForce

Dabbler
I have no problem seeing the files in Plex. Why would mounting the storage change this? I'll try.

EDIT:
After checking mount, I've noticed no difference in drive size/availability

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If you don't mount the storage it doesn't know where to look for the files. What you're seeing in Plex is the metadata from the library. Not the files.

Think about it. If it's not mounted where would the files go?

InvertedForce

Dabbler
Maybe my original intention was clouded by my bad description (Ha!)
I'm trying to keep TV shows on one volume, Movies on another, having both accessible through PLEX.
The problem is, vol1 (movies) is changing size WITH additional media added to vol2 (TV)

I'm assuming its because the jail is created on vol1 (with plex running through that jail), so it pulls that data as "storage" on vol1.
Am I making any sense?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
its copying the data from source to destination because the actual media is not mounted. essentially it is copying the data from vol2 to vol1 because you didnt mount the storage

InvertedForce

Dabbler
If you don't mount the storage it doesn't know where to look for the files. What you're seeing in Plex is the metadata from the library. Not the files.

Think about it. If it's not mounted where would the files go?

I've been able to access/watch all of my TV programming through plex with "MOUNT" unchecked, so I doubt its just metadata I'm seeing. Updates (new) files added are reflected in a library update through plex GUI

InvertedForce

Dabbler
Ah, is there a way to remove the data from vol1 and keep it on vol2?
I understand what you're saying now, thanks!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
before MOUNTING the storage, go in to /mnt/vol1/jails/plexmediaserver_1/media

then rsync the files from /mnt/vol1/jails/plexmediaserver_1/media/tv to /mnt/vol2/media2/tv

once done, delete the files in /mnt/vol1/jails/plexmediaserver_1/media/tv

mount storage

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
think of it like this. You told your jail that you wanted anything located in /mnt/vol2/media2/tv to be available in the jail at /media/tv
you didn't mount the jail, so it was copying your files to that location....since you told it to. That location of that jail was in VOL1, hence the fact that VOL1 was decreasing.

mounting the storage makes the jail think it is local storage but it is physically on another pool.

InvertedForce

Dabbler
So, upon searching, I've noticed there's nothing out of the ordinary in my jail storage. I went into the jail shell, browsed to /media/TV and found there is nothing in the folder.
volumes3.jpg

Notice under jails/plexmediaserver_1 the size used is 3.2GB, which isn't that out of the ordinary.
Every time I add media to vol2, I lose the same amount in overall size in vol1 (vol1/media now has a size of 508.2GB)

Still scratching my head on this.
I might need to transfer movies over to vol2 and remove my dataset and jails and start over new, see if I can recover the lost space.
Any ideas?

InvertedForce

Dabbler
EDIT:
I wound up moving my data to the other drive temporarily to destroy the dataset /vol1/media and create a new one.
When I hit Destroy Dataset, it spit back an error saying

cannot unmount '/mnt/vol1/media': device busy

Not sure what it did, but now my available size is 617GB with a total size of 910GB. That's right.
Thanks pirateghost for your patience and your help!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Sounds like it was still attached to something. Some process was holding on

Status
Not open for further replies.