Standard 3.5" HDD vs NAS 3.5 HDD vs 2.5 SATA SSD

calcom21

Cadet
Hi All,
Need advise for those who are using NAS 24/7. I'm setting my NAS and was wondering what is the best option. Understand the standard HDD probably not practical. but wondering if NAS 3.5 HDD vs 2.5 SATA HDD - which one to go? While std NAS HDD have moving part, SSD does not. Which one will last longer? I'm setting up photos backup in replacing the google photos. So not sure which will be the better option

Davvo

MVP
Depends on the product, but generally HDDs come in larger sizes than SSDs, give you a warning before dying, but have lower performances (especially IOPS); SATA SSDs cost more than NVMe SSDs. SSDs have a certified number of writes they can sustain, after which they are prone to dying; if properly handled HDDs can last way longer than their warranty, but it also requires a bit of luck.

Like NAS HDDs, NAS SSDs have improved endurance.

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
2.5" SATA HDD's are probably SMR (unless enterprise grade) so useless for TrueNAS

Davvo

MVP
2.5" SATA HDD's are probably SMR (unless enterprise grade) so useless for TrueNAS
I believe there is a typo in his post and he is referring to 2.5'' SATA SSDs (as in the title).
What you wrote is totally accurate though.