SSD or more RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

travalon

Explorer
I've. Built my first nas and it's up and running.Sort of. It doesnt have all it's parts. In short. Is it better to get a ssd for ARC LARC Jail etc... Or to double my ram to 16GB and use a old ide notebook drive or flash drive for jail? Money is tight and i hope to get a 2nd 2T drive soon. All im using this for is storage for an Htpc and backups of select directories on 2 laptops.

If a ssd is the way to go, what is more important? Read speed, write speed or size? Would a mechanical drive work?

Thank you for your input and expertise.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't think anyone has actually experimented with RAM vs L2ARC but the manual says you should max out the RAM your system can use before you use an L2ARC. Using an L2ARC steals RAM for the ARC so its a double edged sword.

Putting the jail on a flash drive is a big mistake. The jail has lots of writes to logs, something that would wear out a USB stick very quickly. An old IDE notebook drive is a good choice as long as you don't need the port. Most people put their jail on their main zpool too.

travalon

Explorer
Thx, I've read the manual cover to cover teice but some of it still confuses me.

Status
Not open for further replies.