Spotlight search over SMB

sorinciupitu

Dabbler
Hello! I use TrueNAS-12.0-U6 and I`m try to use Spotlight search over SMB on macOS and I can't find a solution to use it. Simply does`n work. I have found a suggestion to install elasticsearc and fscrawler in a jail but I have tried to do that with no success. Can you suggest me a solution? Thanks!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You need at least
  • Elasticsearch and fscrawler in a jail
  • Spotlight support compiled into Samba
It seems that currently the latter is not the case in TrueNAS despite different claims a couple of months ago. So other than rebuilding your own TrueNAS system that feature is simply not present.

@anodos any chance we will ever see it in the standard release?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It seems that currently the latter is not the case in TrueNAS despite different claims a couple of months ago. So other than rebuilding your own TrueNAS system that feature is simply not present.

It was decided to not make such a change in our 12-stable branch at that time. We try to be pretty conservative there with changes to core services.

I can see about it in 13-stable. Spotlight support is already compiled into SCALE.

sorinciupitu

Dabbler
It would be interesting if I could find a search software similar to the one from voidtool which is called "Everything" but only exists for windows platform. It does an initial indexing that takes a while, then the search is done instantly. It somehow updates the indexed base. Any idea if there is something similar for macOS?

Algwyn

Dabbler
I can see about it in 13-stable. Spotlight support is already compiled into SCALE.
Has Spotlight support in Samba been included in the 13 roadmap?
This feature is quite important for usage of TrueNAS server in a Mac environment.

kapitainsky

Dabbler
Maybe closer than ever to put it to rest and enjoy searching. We think we are on the right path to fix it. Ticket has been raised but to help with its visibility please login to jira and vote for this issue.