Spontaneous reboots - FreeNAS-9.2.0-RELEASE-x64 (ab098f4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech Outfit

Cadet
I have nearly identical hardware and experienced the exact same issue after upgrading to FreeNAS 9.2 and have been ripping my hair out. I tried switching RAID controllers, moved to Intel NICs, never received any good errors from syslog or the Dell event log. In staring at other non-Dell boxes that are running with FreeNAS 9.2 with no issue, I noticed that there were no sysctls or tunables entries... I enabled autotune on both boxes and so far I am 24 hours with a reboot. Previously they could barely go 6 hours without rebooting.

If it starts up again, I'll update and probably revert back to 9.1.1 as others have done.

Tech Outfit

Cadet
Scratch that, one of them just rebooted although it stayed up longer than it had in the past. Looks like I'm going back to 9.1.1 as well.

Scratch that, one of them just rebooted although it stayed up longer than it had in the past. Looks like I'm going back to 9.1.1 as well.

I just completed my backup restore of 10 TB on 9.1.1 with no further issues, so you should be ok after stepping back.

Chris Hoefler

Dabbler
I was having a similar problem with our MD1000 attached to a Dell R900. Spontaneous reboots when the moving large amounts of data over the network. I have just upgraded to 9.2.1RC2, which was released yesterday, and that seems to have solved the problem. There was an upgrade to the mps driver for LSI 6 Gb/s cards, so I'm assuming the older driver was the problem in 9.2.0. Maybe this should be mentioned prominently in the release notes for 9.2.1 as I am seeing a lot of reports of similar problems with 9.2.0 in the forums.

Tech Outfit

Cadet
Thanks Chris. I downgraded one of our PE2950 II's to 9.1.1 and it's been up for a week without reboots now. I still have one at 9.2 that I'll try upgrading and see how it fares and report back.

Tech Outfit

Cadet
9.2.1RC2 definitely stabilized one of the two NAS units so far. It would never stay up for more than 6 hours and now I've been hitting it with rsync for over 24 hours with no issue.

I'm going to upgrade my other matching unit from 9.1.1 to 9.2.1RC2 as I'm pretty confident that one will be fixed as well.

tslewis99

Dabbler
Tech Outfit,

Thanks for the update. Please post back if anything changes. I'm going to wait to upgrade to 9.2.1 until all release candidates become final.

Tech Outfit

Cadet
I updated both problematic servers to FreeNAS 9.2.1-RELEASE this week and spontaneous reboots are gone from both devices and are now very stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.