Some other way to use the CLI then the build in shell ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike77

Contributor
Hi,

Is there some other program or way to use the command line interface then using the build in shell?
I'm having a lot of trouble using the shell (enter function, scrolling, small screen, etc etc?)

danb35

Hall of Famer

Mike77

Contributor
Of course there is, and it's much preferred. SSH to the server. http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/services.html#ssh

The shell from the web GUI should be avoided whenever possible.

Haha. Thanks.

I just started reading the post you linked. It says that cliënts should use SSH cliënt software. I guess Putty would do. But does this mean that I can't access the shares without running SSH software ? Becausse I just need a better program then the build in shell....

Mike77

Contributor
I don't see the connection between the shell and accessing shares--could you explain a bit more?

That's the question. Is there a connection, or doesn't it matter? My fear was that it might no longer be possible to access the shares through a cliënt (windows machine) without the use of the SSH Cliënt software. Or does SSH just give access to the cli of the server?

danb35

Hall of Famer
SSH is just for CLI access (well, it can be used for other things, but CLI access is its main purpose). It wouldn't have any effect on how you connect to the shares.

Mike77

Contributor
Thanks! I started to wonder, because there would be an option to move files to the server etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.