SOLVED VMs can't see host

victort

Guru
Folks, ... did it ever occur to anyone that when you move an IP address from the physical interface to the bridge as you should ... the MAC address of the physical interface is still in your desktop computer's ARP cache? And the bridge will of course have a different one? And you will not be able to reach the system for the "save" dialog until the ARP cache times out?

This is basic networking and 100% expected!

Increase the timeout for test --> save to 5 minutes.
Clear the ARP cache of your local system after clicking "test".

I'll bet a round of beer for all participants that this is the evil "cannot create bridge, TN is broken!!!" bug. :smile:
That’s an excellent point. Which is why I recommend first setting the bridge to DHCP, and letting it acquire an IP. After that you can just remove the IP from the physical and set the bridge to static. (Making sure you can reach the NAS from the new IP first…)

systract

Dabbler
The below steps always work for me:

1. In console, add br0 and add NIC to the bridge member.
2. In GUI, remove ip from the NIC, assign the ip to br0.

chri5

Explorer
Yep, I had to hook a monitor to my box and add the bridge via the console. Tried several times with the GUI, increased the test time, cleared arp cache on my web browser pc, but it kept reverting back. To be fair it might be my router at fault. But I'm sorted now.

ASap

Dabbler
My TrueNAS used DHCP, so the step I created for my bridge is as follows:
Create a new bridge: br0;
Assign a manual IP for br0;
I then got a prompt to enter the default gateway information;
Added enp3s0 as the member;
I tested the configuration, and it worked. So I saved the changes.