[SOLVED] iperf speed issues

LIGISTX

Guru
I noticed I was getting slow write speeds to my 10x4TB Z2 array, I am on gigabit infrastructure, but over the past year I migrated from ESXi to proxmox as my host, changed host hardware completely, and never really hit the NAS hard enough to notice any differences (COVID.... didn't take many pix or videos etc).

Finally doing some photo work again, and I am seeing my read speeds be much slower then they should be coming from truenas SMB share.

I did some iperf3 tests, and I can not get truenas to send data faster then 500mbps. I get full 940ish mbps from my PC to truenas, and with ubuntu VM's hosted on the same server as truenas I get 7.5gbps... but the max I get writing to truenas is 500mbps.

This (I believe) rules out networking as an issue, everything seems to work except the single direction, and only on the truenas VM.

I migrated from ESXi and left the networking the same (the vNIC is vmxnet3). Is this potentially the issue? Should I try a different vNIC? If so, any recommendation on which? I am on Core TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1

*Edit* Solved - virtIO vNIC was the solution... I am now getting ~22gbps both directions from VM's sitting on the same host, and getting 1gbps over my physical network as expected :)

Last edited: