SMR Drives and ZFS

So, I've been experimenting with my 8TB Seagate drives pulled from USB enclosures... They happen to be SMR drives...

And in that experimentation, it seems that these drives start to throw major read/write/self-healed errors right at the full marks for drive storage (i dont know what else to call it... but, with 4x8TB drives, i hit major errors and slow-downs at the 8TB, 16TB and 24TB marks... (or around about 4% of those markers))...

Wondering if anyone else has done any extensive testing with these types of drives and have seen similar results...

Hoping to maybe get @Chris Moore chiming in as he seems to have some experience with these drives....

(FYI: I am running these tests on a non-critical machine and am using smaller standard drives for my in-use machine)...

This is my 3rd run-through of filling up these drives and experiencing errors being thrown at the same markers...

It should also be noted that these errors are cleared on reboots of FreeNAS (sometimes 2 reboots)...

If it helps, specs are as follows:
HP Proliant MB350 (iirc)
2x Xeon E5-2609v2
96GB ECC RAM
4x8TB Seagate Baracuda drives pulled from USB enclosure bought new (serial numbers:ZCT0S1BQ_5000c500bXXXXXXX)
FreeNAS 11.3-RC2