Smoked my BMC on ASRock C2750D4I

nickt

Contributor
Hi all,

Hoping someone might be able to help. Like a fool, I rushed in to do an IPMI firmware upgrade on my ASRock C2750D4I and I seem to have managed to toast the BMC. I stupidly started the firmware upgrade from the IPMI GUI using the MacOS Safari browser. At the point where it should have asked me for the firmware file, nothing happened (I am guessing safari blocked a pop-up). I waited patiently for ages, but nothing happened. Eventually I reset the machine and sure enough the BMC shows as failed in the BIOS screen and no amount of cajoling will get it going again.

I've seen some online references to a DOS tool that could resurrect it. Often, forum posts end with advice to contact ASRock Rack support directly, who then provide some kind of magic DOS executable that could fix it. But I can't find the executable anywhere online. I've contacted ASRock Rack support and so far have got dial tone.

Has anyone had this experience and / or have access to the DOS tool that might fix the BMC?

Not for the first time, I am pretty irritated with the terrible support from ASRock Rack...

Thanks,

Nick

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
They may just have a day off for the New Year holiday. Give them another try.

sremick

Patron
Yes, I have experience with this.

They will send you a link to download a file that will reset your BMC (BmcDef.EXE). Unfortunately I don't have the file anymore and the Dropbox link doesn't work anymore.

You'll probably hear from "William". He's extremely helpful.

nickt

Contributor
Thanks. I actually tried to contact them about 6 weeks ago, but still nothing back. I've certainly had good help from William in the past, but more recent attempts to contact him have fallen silent. Does anyone have a good email address I can try?

Interesting (and troubling) that BmcDef.exe is the executable that I need. I actually did find that somewhere (v0.01). It couldn't find a BMC to reset...

Maybe I am going to have to try to find a BMC EPROM to replace the old one...

Nick

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I am very fortunate to have acquired my C2750D4I board via iXsystems when I bought a mini XL. They were very professional in addressing the AVR54 bug that killed my board... I had a replacement in less than a week or so.

So buying a ASRock board via a iXsystems is something I can recommend.