SMB Share

Jord9857

Explorer
Hi all,

I've got a pool setup on FreeNAS, I've not configured any ACL's or permissions for it so as default (apart from this dataset below), I've setup a SMB for a dataset which I can access on both of my Windows machines (as root) - I can edit, rename, create, remove etc so no problems there.

However, I've got my Hyper V virtual machines in this dataset, I map Hyper V to these virtual hard drives in the dataset and get an error, whatever way I try and path Hyper V to the dataset SMB it doesn't like it - F:\VMs or path shown in screenshot (\\FREENAS\Network\VMs)
sCZf-x2c4JyU0ztisZYOAAaPMiEXwBZ153UJ9ayNLDICN-SgzVzwe4WUVI80TvL-qlQEx7zO6nAUiLN_DrxkxABK9vrP6CbUg6yHkelfESGUuBqUkLtG4bZDRsHeu6nhB0f1uzs

So I jumped on Putty to try and adjust the permissions using chmod -R 777 /directory
Soon as I try Hyper V again and gives the same error, this + appears at the end of the permissions, I did some research and used the setfacl -bn /directory command which gets rid of the ACL successfully so I can set permissions again (if I wanted to)
1623942024760.png

1623942184061.png

But I just can't get my head around if the directory has full permission for user, group and everyone - why is Hyper V still having issues? I looked to set permissions on the dataset but no 'everyone', ACL will just mess up the datasets as from previous experience. Is there a Windows ID I can create a user on FreeNAS to give owner of the dataset? How can I give Hyper V permission to this directory to edit, read etc?

Any idea's will be much appreciated

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Check logs on samba side. It might also be that hyper-v is trying to use some capabilities that are not supported in samba e.g. resilient handles.

Jord9857

Explorer
Check logs on samba side. It might also be that hyper-v is trying to use some capabilities that are not supported in samba e.g. resilient handles.

Just checked the client (which has Hyper V and errors on) nothing about nothing unsupported, just saying what it said in the original screenshot that it doesn't have permission, access is denied.
View attachment 47791

Jord9857

Explorer
@anodos

Even trying to export these VM's to the network share, I'm getting this error even though it's created a folder, nothing in it.

107693-image.png

Although as I mentioned, I gave the directory full permission for user, group and everyone and Windows is still struggling.
Essentially, I wanna store my VM's in this network share and have it mapped to my desktop which is running Hyper V so I won't have to worry about the local storage on my desktop.

Last edited: