SOLVED SMB is rejecting windows backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arch Willingham

Dabbler
I have about twelve windows machines doing backups to six different FreeNAS setups at three different sites.

They do backups every night via wbadmin to a FreeNAS SMB share. Its worked like a charm for over a year.

As of the most recent FreeNAS 11 nightly update, as soon as the windows task runs, it immediately stops. I can manually add the SMB share via the command line and see the data and write to it.

At first glance, one would assume its something to do with Windows but the twelve machine are running a variety of versions of Windows. The only thing that seems different is the newer version of FreeNAS 11 (FreeNAS-11-MASTER-201709300517).

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why are you running nightlies?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, the nightlies can break a lot, so they're not good for bleeding edge testing. They're more useful to confirm that a new patch fixes an issue, or that a newer driver supports a shiny new piece of hardware - that sort of short-term evaluation.

The kind of testing you're willing to do is more useful when the Betas start rolling out later this month, since the codebase is more stable and has seen some more structured QA. I'm sure the devs will appreciate feedback for those versions.

For now, IIRC, you posted a bug report, so please link it here. You might want to update it to include the bit about the earlier version working.

Arch Willingham

Dabbler
Well, the nightlies can break a lot, so they're not good for bleeding edge testing. They're more useful to confirm that a new patch fixes an issue, or that a newer driver supports a shiny new piece of hardware - that sort of short-term evaluation.

The kind of testing you're willing to do is more useful when the Betas start rolling out later this month, since the codebase is more stable and has seen some more structured QA. I'm sure the devs will appreciate feedback for those versions.

For now, IIRC, you posted a bug report, so please link it here. You might want to update it to include the bit about the earlier version working.

10-4 on all you said!

How do I link the bug report? Is it ok just to show the url ?

https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/26019

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Arch Willingham

Dabbler
FWIW:

Since the issues I originally reported with 11-MASTER-201709300517, I rolled back to 11-MASTER-201709210509 and Windows backups function without issue. For the heck of it, yesterday I upgraded to FreeNAS-11-MASTER-201711081300 just to see what happens and now backups run fine in the newest version. Don't know what y'all did with samba 4.7 but it seems fine now!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.