SMB dropping connection from MacBook

EtienneB

Explorer
Hi,
I am getting many errors like this:

Dec 12 17:55:44 freenas kernel: Limiting open port RST response from 329 to 200 packets/sec
Dec 12 17:55:51 freenas kernel[1965]: Last message 'Limiting open port R' repeated 1 times, suppressed by syslog-ng on freenas.local
Dec 12 17:55:51 freenas kernel: pid 9925 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6
Dec 12 17:55:54 freenas kernel: pid 9936 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6
Dec 12 17:56:00 freenas kernel: pid 9937 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6
Dec 12 17:56:05 freenas kernel: pid 9938 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6

I also noticed that my SMB shares get disconnected from my Macbook running Catalina.
This happened after upgrading TrueNAS 12 to TrueNas 12 U1 two days ago.

I have been experimenting if this would help at my SMB shares:
Enable SMB2/3 Durable Handles

But sofar it hasn't helped.

The SMB Service has the following aux parameters:
vfs objects = fruit catia streams_xattr
fruit:encoding = native

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

EtienneB

Explorer
Done I hope. Thanks.

c77dk

Patron
@anodos do you need more debug?
Just trying to edit some pictures via SMB from Big Sur and seeing the same storm of errors and disconnects. If you need me to test something don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Alex Guzman

Cadet
I'm seeing similar crashes with some macOS + Windows clients, wasn't sure which was causing them. I can provide a core, too.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm seeing similar crashes with some macOS + Windows clients, wasn't sure which was causing them. I can provide a core, too.
At this point I probably don't need to see cores. The issue should be resolved in U1.1 (have about a significant number of users confirming fix). If you want to test for yourself you can PM me, or you can revert back to 12.0 and wait for U1.1.

lordboogie

Cadet
At this point I probably don't need to see cores. The issue should be resolved in U1.1 (have about a significant number of users confirming fix). If you want to test for yourself you can PM me, or you can revert back to 12.0 and wait for U1.1.

Thanks for this comment. I brought a brand new 2019 Macbook Pro and was having issues syncing files from TrueNAS to the laptop over SMB. I couldnt find the MacOS client-side SMB logs, but it would be constant disconnects from the file server, especially working with multiple files at the same time. Reverting back to 12.0 seems to have fixed this issue for now.

j_r0dd

Contributor
Is there any eta on U1.1? I know I shouldn't ask for ETA's in the software world. I just have made a bunch of changes on U1 and rolling back reverts all those changes, so I'm stuck for now.

c77dk

Patron
Is there any eta on U1.1? I know I shouldn't ask for ETA's in the software world. I just have made a bunch of changes on U1 and rolling back reverts all those changes, so I'm stuck for now.
Hopefully next week

c77dk

Patron

EtienneB

Explorer
Hello, I saw the 12 U1.1 this morning and installed it. But I see now that the SMB was not fixed in this release?
I am again getting a bunch of:
freenas kernel: pid 4640 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6

Any U2 expected soon? I will revert to the last patch in the meanwhile.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

NATION

Cadet
I can confirm the bug with WindowsXP clients, every time (Jan 18 14:53:31 fn01 kernel: pid 3567 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6) and I couldn't create any folders with more than 8 characters in the folder name in U1 and U1.1

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I can confirm the bug with WindowsXP clients, every time (Jan 18 14:53:31 fn01 kernel: pid 3567 (smbd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 6) and I couldn't create any folders with more than 8 characters in the folder name in U1 and U1.1
Yeah, there are some issues with SMB1 protocol in U1 that will be fixed in U2 (fix for U1.1 was postponed due to urgent openzfs fix). You can PM me for the patched version of samba that fixes these issues so that you can verify that it resolves what you are seeing.

ryans

Cadet
I think I may be running into this issue as well. I’ve got a 2019 Mac Pro and 2018 Mac Mini, both running Catalina, both connected directly to my NAS over 10GB. The Mini is connected through a Mikrotik switch with a fiber connection to a Chelsio T5 card in the NAS, and the Pro connects with a direct Ethernet connection to an Intel X550 card in the NAS.
I was experiencing this issue with Truenas 12 U.1 - write speeds were normal, whereas read speeds were down to about 40MB/s. The patch supplied did fix the issue. https://jira.ixsystems.com/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/NAS-107593
However, while I could write at over 1000MB/s and read over 800MB/s on Truenas 12 U1 with the patch, which was an improvement over FreeNAS 11.3 U.5, it’s a different story when writing (and perhaps reading) many small files to the NAS.
Doing this causes the SMB share to be very quickly unmourned on both my machines. For example, writing peak files to cache in Premiere, or writing an image sequence from DaVinci Resolve, will cause this behaviour.
Rolling the NAS back to FreeNAS 11.3 U.5 resolves the issue for now.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I think I may be running into this issue as well. I’ve got a 2019 Mac Pro and 2018 Mac Mini, both running Catalina, both connected directly to my NAS over 10GB. The Mini is connected through a Mikrotik switch with a fiber connection to a Chelsio T5 card in the NAS, and the Pro connects with a direct Ethernet connection to an Intel X550 card in the NAS.
I was experiencing this issue with Truenas 12 U.1 - write speeds were normal, whereas read speeds were down to about 40MB/s. The patch supplied did fix the issue. https://jira.ixsystems.com/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/NAS-107593
However, while I could write at over 1000MB/s and read over 800MB/s on Truenas 12 U1 with the patch, which was an improvement over FreeNAS 11.3 U.5, it’s a different story when writing (and perhaps reading) many small files to the NAS.
Doing this causes the SMB share to be very quickly unmourned on both my machines. For example, writing peak files to cache in Premiere, or writing an image sequence from DaVinci Resolve, will cause this behaviour.
Rolling the NAS back to FreeNAS 11.3 U.5 resolves the issue for now.
Can you PM me a debug please?

NATION

Cadet
Yeah, there are some issues with SMB1 protocol in U1 that will be fixed in U2 (fix for U1.1 was postponed due to urgent openzfs fix). You can PM me for the patched version of samba that fixes these issues so that you can verify that it resolves what you are seeing.
Done!

csoltenborn

Cadet
I have the same issue (in my case, I cannot connect my Sonos system to my share), but I'd be willing to wait for U2 if it doesn't take more then, say, another week. Any news on this, @Samuel Tai? February 2nd has passed ;-)