Small PSU w/ 6 SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobH

Cadet
Hi. I'm building a small home NAS and selected the CORSAIR TX650 PSU to power it. However, the PSU is physically too big to fit in my case and 650W is overkill anyway. Can anyone recommend a smaller 300W PSU with enough SATA power connectors for 6 drives? Thanks.

PrincePaul

Patron
mhh normally a 300W PSU has only 4x SATA Power so you must work with adapters
I recommend the Enermax Triathlor 300W ATX 2.3 80+Bronze(~45€) because its a longlife PSU and it´s designed for 24/7 use.

80+Gold begins ~ @ 400Watt and there for I recommend the be quiet! Straight Power E9 400W ATX 2.31 (~60€)

But please post the rest of your hardware you wanna use.

RobH

Cadet
Thanks. Rest of the hardware is as follows:
  • GIGABYTE GA-C847N-D Intel Celeron 847 1.1GHz Intel NM70 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo
  • 16 GB DDR3 RAM
  • VANTEC 6-Port SATA II 150 PCI Host Card Model UGT-ST310R
  • 3 x Seagate Barracuda 3 TB HDD SATA (but plan to add 3 more)
I don't mind spending more for 400W. My main concern is the dimensions. Sadly, Newegg doesn't seem to list those. So for adapters, I guess I'd be looking at molex to SATA then?

PrincePaul

Patron
Yes Molex to Sata Adapter
and for your system I would use a 300W PSU too.

But Newegg has a very small 300W product selection.....only FSP and Seasonic Products.
I looked at a German Store sry ;)

RobH

Cadet
Thanks. And for completeness, the case is a LIAN LI PC-Q25B Black Aluminum Mini-ITX Tower, which is small and holds about 7-8 3.5" drives, but only a shallow PSU will fit. The CORSAIR TX650 had a depth of 5.9" and there wasn't enough room for the cables.

Veti

Dabbler
what about the SilverStone ST45SF-G.
its a sfx psu that comes with an atx adapter and the psu is modular.

Alfred Melvin

Explorer
I built my Freenas with sixteen hard drives. With no video cards there is plenty of power for drives. I choose to custom build the sata connectors by assembling groups of four onto the existing sata cables.
The Akasa 5 1/4" to 3 1/2 drive bay adapters hold four drives and have a cooling fan as well. I removed the molex end of the adapters that came with each new drive and soldered them to the power supply cables.
It took a couple hours of my time but the finished product looked much nicer than a bunch of adapters plugged in everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.