Slow ZFS read performance in Truenas

alex711

Dabbler
I am getting incredibly slow read speeds from magnetic drives with Truenas. Shouldn't I see better than 314-400MB/s read performance from 6vdev mirrors with a total of 12 3TB drives? I have tested different drives, The only thing that seems to not exhibit this problem are SSDs when testing with SSDs I get good read and write performance. 10gbps line rate in both directions with a single 4 drive raidz1 vdev.

I have tested different HBAs and different cables (I am using LSI 9200-16e in the pictures, but have also tested this with LSI 9206-16e) both had the same results
I have reinstalled truenas from scratch (vanilla) problem persists.
I have tested all of the drives individually with hdd sentential -- none of the drives had any issues and read and write speeds were ~140MB/s average per drive (tested all at the same time in aggregate I saw 2GB/s at peak.)
I have tested this using fio and smb. If I'm reading from ARC things are line rate 10gbps otherwise they read speeds are 1/3rd write speeds or worse.
I've created smaller pools and get about the same results read speed wise.

System specs:
dual e5-2667 CPUs
128GB ddr3 ecc memory
LSI 9200-16e
LSI 9206-16e
separate power supplies for drives (tested 2 different PSUs)

Read speeds:
read speeds with arc and without arc.png

Write Speeds are fine:
write speeds smb.png

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
What motherboard are you using to host those 2x CPUs?
Also, what ashift value are you using in your pool, and ZFS record size in your datasets?

alex711

Dabbler
Seagate Constellation ES.3 drives... I think this has something to do with the drives themselves... but how i cannot explain.

Samuel Tai

Are these the standard ES.3 or the self-encrypting model?

Samuel Tai

What slots are your HBAs in? According to the X9DRi-LN4F+ manual, slots 1-3 are controlled by the front CPU, and slots 4-6 by the rear CPU.

alex711

Dabbler
ah yes -- I looked at the block diagram earlier today and I tested by isolating the cards to a single numa node -- IE: I placed 2 HBAs (9200-16e) in slot 1 and 2, and placed the 10gbe nic in slot 3. I also tested by putting the cards in the second set of pcie slots. The overall performance never changes.

The thing that makes me scratch my head is -- If I put 16 SSDs on the LSI 9206-16e and test -- the performance is great -- I can saturate 10gbe all day in both directions with only a handful (4-5) of the ssds... The moment I put the ES.3's on that same card without changing any of the configuration i start to see some artificial ceiling of 500MB/s no matter how many drives I add... and at some point It almost seems like the more drives i add the slower the performance gets going from say 8 to 12 to 16...

I wish i had some other magnetic drives to test with.. but i only have 4 6TB drives and when i test with those i get about the same performance as i do with 4 of the 3TB drives.

alex711

Dabbler
I didn't try that troubleshooting before today because the QPI link between numa nodes is supposed to be quite a bit faster than the speeds I'm seeing.. and I cant imagine it adds enough latency to slow things down at these data rates... maybe I'm wrong?

alex711

Dabbler
Additionally -- the copy to dev/zero seems to be as fast as i'd expect from 12 of these drives.. scrubbing is incredibly fast as well...

alex711

Dabbler
It only takes 3 SSDs to get me 1.1GB/s read and write in a stripe... It doesn't matter if i stripe or mirror these drives -- 8, 10 or 12 of the ES.3 drives only nets me 500MB/s read

1613969274300.png

sretalla