Slow write speed on CIFS, reading from CIFS works fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I just set up our old HP ProLiant DL380 G6 with FreeNAS but I'm having strange transfer speed issues.

I'm trying with some ISOs.

Writing from another server or a PC starts out with around 100 MB/s but goes down to around 25 MB/s after like 20-30 seconds.
Reading the same files from the FreeNAS is always at around 100 MB/s. I set up FTP and tried transferring the same files from and to the FreeNAS and there are not speed issues.

I tested als with iperf and got 930MBit/s as server and as client.

I don't know what the problem is...

CPU: 2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5504 @ 2.00GHz
RAM: 24 GB
NIC: Broadcom BCM5709C Gbit

I checked the system processes on the FreeNAS and smbd goes up to 40% while writing to the NAS and goes back down to 15% when the writing speed goes down.

Any ideas?

Read speed from FreeNAS to Windows Server 2012 R2

read.PNG

Write speed from Windows Server 2012 R2 to FreeNAS after getting slow:

write_slow.PNG

m0nkey_

MVP
I just set up our old HP ProLiant DL380 G6 with FreeNAS
Are you using the on-board RAID controller, or did you install a real HBA?

My guess is you're using the integrated controller, which cannot be flashed to IT mode. This will give you a write performance hit.

Source: I have a DL380 G6 at the office and it does exactly this. Personally, I don't care since it's a 3rd backup of a VMware environment.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Are you using the on-board RAID controller, or did you install a real HBA?

My guess is you're using the integrated controller, which cannot be flashed to IT mode. This will give you a write performance hit.

Source: I have a DL380 G6 at the office and it does exactly this. Personally, I don't care since it's a 3rd backup of a VMware environment.
Yes this ^ or maybe your client is what is slow. You could test the local write speeds on your freenas box.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.