Slow speed in smb

Nick023

Cadet
Hi, i want to backup around 200gb of data on my truenas from my laptop. Both devices are connected via ethernet 1gb. But the weird thing is im only getting around 10mb/s via ethernet. When i connect my laptop through wifi the speed gets up to around 15 mb/s. I don't understand why the smb is slower on the ethernet. Any suggestions why this is happening? Thank you!

asap2go

Patron
Did you verify that the link speed is indeed 1 GBit/s and not 100MBit/s? 10MByte/s sounds like the latter.
Also it depends on what kind of files you are copying. The smaller the slower.

chuck32

Guru
I'm not sure if it's related to my switch, but in the past it occasionally set the port my server is behind to 100mbps instead of 1000mbps. You can look at network card in the dashboard to see the reported speed.
Plugging out and in again, solved the issue.

Nick023

Cadet
I'm not sure if it's related to my switch, but in the past it occasionally set the port my server is behind to 100mbps instead of 1000mbps. You can look at network card in the dashboard to see the reported speed.
it says that im connected to a 1000mb/s twisted pair. Also run a speedtest from mozillabrowser in truenas and that showed a down speed of 500mb\s, that maximum of my internet.

Nick023

Cadet
i've found the issue i dont know why but my laptop registered my ethernet connection as a 10mbits connection. By simply replugging solved it. Now im getting a smb connection around 35 mb/s I think thats quite the max.

asap2go

Patron
i've found the issue i dont know why but my laptop registered my ethernet connection as a 10mbits connection. By simply replugging solved it. Now im getting a smb connection around 35 mb/s I think thats quite the max.
Happens to everyone.
In fact some believe networking has been created by satan himself.