Slow Directory browsing (CIFS share)

Status
Not open for further replies.

websster

Cadet
My problem is the browsing of a large directorytree (about 400.000 Files, avg. filesize 2MB) is really slow. A Folder with about 25.000 Files takes about 2 minutes, to show up completely.

And single file (eg. rename/move/delete) operations take serveral seconds. (via Explorer)

Is anybody else have the same Problem? And how to speed up the share?

My System:
Pentium G840
8GB RAM
8* 2TB (Samsung) RAIDZ2
FreeNAS 8.0.2

jafin

Explorer
Yeah I have similar symptoms. ALthough not as bad as your timings. I only notice it on folders with large amount of files. I'm still running 8.01 beta 4. I haven't yet sat down and toggled the bits on the CIFS page. Have you tried over ftp/nfs?

websster

Cadet
With FTP it's clearly faster. it takes some seconds (2-5), but then it shows up the complete directory content.

If the cifs share takes the same amount of time like ftp does, i would be satisfied.

Via console on the server, 'ls' shows immediatley the directory content.

daytontux

Cadet
I know this is years later but as newbie I am facing this same issue when browsing via CIFS 700k+ files iO goes to to floor about 18k on a 10G link. I am not able to yet find a tuning that will solve this.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I know this is years later but as newbie I am facing this same issue when browsing via CIFS 700k+ files iO goes to to floor about 18k on a 10G link. I am not able to yet find a tuning that will solve this.

There are several factors at play here.
1) You should make sure the dataset is created as "case insensitive". This may require you to create a new dataset and copy your files to it.
2) you should make sure that the share has the auxiliary parameter "case sensitive = true"
3) you should look into disabling "store DOS attributes" per #4 here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/cifs-directory-browsing-slow-try-this.27751/

Status
Not open for further replies.