Slow CIFS Performance on Freenas 9.2.1.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudAtlas

Cadet
Hey guys, first off I want to thank all of you for the great community support you provide over here. I'm experiencing super slow "a little over 1MB" CIFS transfer speeds on a new machine I have recently built. This is my third FREENAS box I have built so I'm not a complete noob but I'm still learning. The FreeNAS server is being accessed by 8 Windows 7 machines and all of them are experiencing slow data transfer speeds.

Hardware:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Motherboard: Supermicro Motherboard Ultra ATX DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 MBD-X10SLM-F-O
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz PC3 12800 ECC Kingston ValueRAM
Storage: 2X Western Digital Red 1TB SATA III 64MB Cache

Setup:
Version: FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64 (80c1d35)
Storage: Mirror 2 Disk SATA
Compression: 1.27x

CIFS Settings:

NetBIOS name: Cloud
Workgroup: Workgroup
DOS charset: CP437
UNIX charset: UTF-8
Log Level Minimum
Local Master: Checked
Time Server for Domain: Checked
Support DOS File Attributes: Checked
Unix Extensions: Checked
Zeroconf share discovery: Checked
Server maximum protocol: SMB3
Allow execute always: Checked
Everything else I left blank

Notes:
Bug #4874 was giving me a problem for the past couples of days. I have applied the patch but it didn't fix my problem of CIFS not starting. I was able to get around the bug by adding a Post Init script "/usr/local/sbin/smbd" to start samba after it fails on boot up. FYI the slow transfer speeds were in affect before this bug affected me.

Questions:

1. Under network interfaces, currently the server is hooked up under NIC called em0. I have an option to add a second interface called igb0. Should I be using one over the other or there is no difference ?

Summary:
Any suggestions on what tweaks I can do to the machine to improve my transfer speeds would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you guys need any other information to help you better diagnose this performance problem I'm experiencing.

gpsguy

Stick with your em0 NIC for the time being.

Do the clients (Win 7 machines) connecting via wireless or gigabit wired connections. CIFS connections via wireless connections are generally dismal. If wired, my guess is that you have a bad cable in the mix and/or you have some non-gigabit connections.

btw, v9.2.1.6 has been released.

CloudAtlas

Cadet
All of the Win 7 machines are connected through wired connections. I will test all the cables and replace any bad ones and upgrade to a gigabit connection on each one. Currently im not able to access the site till monday so i will update as soon as I can. Even if the connections were non-gigabit, should i be getting speeds faster than 1MB ? Thanks for your input gpsguy.

Status
Not open for further replies.