SLOG - Actual Device Model Number List NVME Only

webdawg

Contributor
I was reading the hardware recommendations guide, and it was talking about the Intel DC P3700.

I think I want to SLOG, but I have to check if their are any PCIe slots avail before I do. I am going to mirror my SLOG: https://www.reddit.com/r/zfs/comments/6p6jiy/worth_mirroring_slog/

I am going to only do NVME.

Does anyone have any links to a list of NVME battery backed up/whatever units that are 100% acceptable as SLOG?

Intel I guess:

1611588857202.png

Some googling found this: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/list-of-ssds-with-power-loss-protection.63998/

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
It's a long thread, but there is a collection of SLOG benchmarks here.

Your Intel P3700 is among the heavy-hitters, the "prosumer" Optane 900p/905p is also well-represented, as of course are the "enterprise" Optane DC P4800X and P4801X. A popular used/refurbished device is the Radian RMS-200, a battery-backed NVRAM card with 8GB of space.

Trying to crosslink a graph here, hopefully it works. A bit out of date in that I need to add the RMS-200/300.

upload_2018-9-12_15-10-10-png.25645

webdawg

Contributor
I was trying to find the graph in the thread, I get that the x axis is size, what is the y axis?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I was trying to find the graph in the thread, I get that the x axis is size, what is the y axis?
Sorry about that. X axis is the ZFS recordsize in kilobytes, Y axis is transfer speed in MB/s. Need to add some minor gridlines for sure.

Another question to ask is "do you need an SLOG" - unless you have a sync-write workload (eg: NFS shares or virtual machines) then an SLOG device could go entirely unused.

webdawg

Contributor
Should I do an SLOG mirror? I think I have a lead on two good costing ones

SSDPEDMD800G4

Should I get one or two?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
With the people who know [tm] in this thread, may I hijack it for one small question?

I have read on this forum about Intel 900P, P3700, ... and the like. I wonder what kind of device I have in my system. I put it in there because it read "Optane" and it was left over @work. And I still had a free M.2 slot on my mainboard. I don't have a clue really, what precisely this is and the Intel product page does not help, either.

Device identifies as: MEMPEK1J032GA
Intel says it's an Optane M10 series: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...es-16gb-m-2-80mm-pcie-3-0-20nm-3d-xpoint.html

And I have never seen that mentioned here anywhere. Is this really unsuited for an SLOG device?

Thanks!
Patrick

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Intel Optane Memory 32GB is what you've got. I know because I'm holding one in my hands (well, the box at least - the card's in a system.)

Fine for lower-utilization systems, it has the inherent "PLP-protection" of being 3D XPoint. It won't keep up with a 10GbE network but 2x1GbE will be handled admirably.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Fine for lower-utilization systems, it has the inherent "PLP-protection" of being 3D XPoint. It won't keep up with a 10GbE network but 2x1GbE will be handled admirably.
Thanks. Then why are these not mentioned more frequently? They are comparably dirt cheap:

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Thanks. Then why are these not mentioned more frequently? They are comparably dirt cheap:
That's the 16G model you've linked; it's only good for about 1Gbps of sync writes, vs. the 32G which can do double that.

They don't have the endurance needed to withstand a heavy write workload (365TBW) and they're also M.2 which means you either need the NVMe-capable slot or have to buy a carrier card for PCIe.

They've been posted in the "SLOG Thread" a few times as well as the larger 800p 58G.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
They don't have the endurance needed to withstand a heavy write workload (365TBW)
Seems like I want to start graphing the total bytes written in my Grafana for all of my SSDs :wink: