Should I use ZFS if not using RAID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorbrca

Dabbler
I've spent some time looking for an answer, but I can't seem to find a post with a similar question.

I'm building my FreeNAS with the hardware below and I was wondering if I should be using ZFS for the last 3x drives? The 2x 3TB will be using mirroring in ZFS.

Processor: Intel 64-bit
RAM: 16GB
2x 3TB (Backup)
1x 2TB (Movies)
1x 1TB (OwnCloud)
1x 500GB (LAN Shares)

Thanks.

warri

Guru
ZFS can detect file corruption even without redundancy. So I'd definitely go for it.

victorbrca

Dabbler
ZFS can detect file corruption even without redundancy. So I'd definitely go for it.

Thanks... I re-looked at my setup and I think I'll just use a ZFS strip over the 3x disks. Makes more sense.

paleoN

Wizard
Thanks... I re-looked at my setup and I think I'll just use a ZFS strip over the 3x disks. Makes more sense.
Terrible idea. You are much better off with an additional 3 pools each consisting of a single disk.

victorbrca

Dabbler
Terrible idea. You are much better off with an additional 3 pools each consisting of a single disk.

I thought the idea was to have data distributed over multiple drives as much as possible. :-/

paleoN

Wizard
I thought the idea was to have data distributed over multiple drives as much as possible. :-/
A ZFS stripe is basically equivalent to RAID-0. No redundancy and a 3X greater chance of pool failure. If any of those 3 disks fail it takes that pool and all the data with it.

victorbrca

Dabbler
A ZFS stripe is basically equivalent to RAID-0. No redundancy and a 3X greater chance of pool failure. If any of those 3 disks fail it takes that pool and all the data with it.

I see... I'm going to have all data replicated daily to the 2x backup drives, which are setup with mirroring.

Status
Not open for further replies.